First day with the FZ - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

First day with the FZ

This is a discussion on First day with the FZ within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; Originally Posted by LouG I know what you mean. I'm the same, I have to almost force myself to go for a ride at times. ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: First day with the FZ

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LouG View Post
    I know what you mean. I'm the same, I have to almost force myself to go for a ride at times. I think I'm bored with the limited riding routes around here. And the destroyed roads.
    This is why I also own an enduro/off road bike. Sometimes you need a change and doing some off road exploring can perk you right up! I used to bring my street bikes to the Smokey Mountains in TN and now that trip has become strictly off road. You know what...it's a frickin blast, you get away from people and you get to see things off the beaten path. Seriously...try it.....

Member #
    I have a '15 and read here someplace that Yamaha has a re-flash for it. I find myself using 'B' or 'STD' much of the time because of the schizophrenic throttle that will throw you off the bike, backwards, if you're not careful. That gets tiring and makes my wrist hurt.

Why the hell doesn't Mother Yamaha offer a free or cheap re-flash for these bikes to mitigate what is probably their single biggest flaw?
    1965 Triumph Bonneville, 1968 Honda Cl350, 1972 Yamaha XS650, 1982 Yamaha XS650, 1999 Triumph Legend, 2004 Kawasaki Z750S, 2008 Yamaha FZ1, 2008.5 Yamaha FZ1, 2015 Yamaha FZ-09

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by meinschaft View Post
    I have a '15 and read here someplace that Yamaha has a re-flash for it. I find myself using 'B' or 'STD' much of the time because of the schizophrenic throttle that will throw you off the bike, backwards, if you're not careful. That gets tiring and makes my wrist hurt.

Why the hell doesn't Mother Yamaha offer a free or cheap re-flash for these bikes to mitigate what is probably their single biggest flaw?
    I'm just frankly surprised the maps made it to market beginning with the '14. What a potential PR disaster. It's a good thing the rest of the bike is overall such a competent bike. I did a 200 mile fathers day ride and other than the absolute shit seat, the only other thing was the snatchy throttle. It's otherwise one of the best bikes I have ever ridden. Ever.
    - Colin

'15 FZ-09
    '82 GPZ750R1

'13 Juke

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Name:  Ketchupandmustard.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  86.1 KB
    - Colin

'15 FZ-09
    '82 GPZ750R1

'13 Juke

Member #
    I found the twitchy throttle annoying, but nowhere near as bad as the first KTM RC8.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler
    El Cheapo Chinese levers.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shabba View Post
    It seems the general consensus is a third party flash, not a Yamaha update to 2017. Am I correct to assume that?
    While the 2017 bike's OE calibration is a bit better than the 14-16, it is still far from optimal. We bought a new 17 last week and I have been spending some time on it in stock form before we start swapping exhausts & tuning, I can say areas of the transient fueling is improved however it is still way too abrupt related to on-off throttle and there are a few other quirks in the tune. It's fairly staight forward for us to make improvements related to 2017 tuning in this regard, as well as significant gains in other areas of the tune. We have already have developed maps for several exhausts for the 2017 FZ09 with a borrowed bike, however on our 17 shop bike we are going to first develop an enhanced "improved stock" map as there are quite a few guys looking to improve their stock ride, we'll then move on to testing other exhaust setups as well. If anyone has any questions they are welcome to contact us, i'll post up some dyno charts as well.
    LouG and shabba like this.
    Jamie Long - Fuel Moto USA
    info@fuelmotousa.com
    www.fuelmotousa.com
    920-423-3309

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shabba View Post
    It seems the general consensus is a third party flash, not a Yamaha update to 2017. Am I correct to assume that?
    Yes, you are correct.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LouG View Post
    I found the twitchy throttle annoying, but nowhere near as bad as the first KTM RC8.
    True that! few bikes on the planet with worse fueling than the RC8. I was doing much of the tuning for the HMC factory KTM team when they were racing AMA Superbike.
    CRFan1 and LouG like this.
    Jamie Long - Fuel Moto USA
    info@fuelmotousa.com
    www.fuelmotousa.com
    920-423-3309

Member #
    I hit a big mid corner bump on one and the twitch of throttle it caused fired me into the other lane. I was a bit more cautious after that. Great bike otherwise, the only sportsbike I could ride for long periods.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler
    El Cheapo Chinese levers.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
    This is why I also own an enduro/off road bike. Sometimes you need a change and doing some off road exploring can perk you right up! I used to bring my street bikes to the Smokey Mountains in TN and now that trip has become strictly off road. You know what...it's a frickin blast, you get away from people and you get to see things off the beaten path. Seriously...try it.....
    that sounds awesome. do they have ATV trails as well?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links