First day with the FZ - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

First day with the FZ

This is a discussion on First day with the FZ within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; I would adjust ALL of the slop out of the throttle and I would run around in B mode for the first few miles....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: First day with the FZ

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    I would adjust ALL of the slop out of the throttle and I would run around in B mode for the first few miles.
    LouG likes this.

Member #
    I have a stock 15, and I honestly like the snatchy throttle, makes me feel like I can take off really fast, with a twist of the throttle. feels like accelerating really fast all at once.

engine braking is a plus for me, when the throttle is released, so I really like it how it is.

I think the FZ's issue is its too dang fast.
    Evol likes this.

Member #
    welcome

hopefully it works out for you in the long run.

I am really pleased with th bike so far. in fact neither one of my Harleys has left the garage since I got it. LOL I do a one hour commute on it with a few moderate twisties.
    ridetofish likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I have a flashed ECU and used to use A mode all the time, but I finally had to admit that I have finer control in standard mode and now use that exclusively.
    RickyNY likes this.
    INVENTOR of DIRT

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    I have a flashed ECU and used to use A mode all the time, but I finally had to admit that I have finer control in standard mode and now use that exclusively.
    That is an honest disclosure.

And I will add to that by saying, I run mine in B mode in the tight and twisty stuff for the first few miles of a mountain ride before switching to standard mode. If I'm not feeling it, I'll stick with the softest setting all day. And I must say, of late, I'm not feeling it very often. Hell...I may take up flyfishing full time, which is in itself more than a bit sad.
    Last edited by ridetofish; 06-15-2017 at 07:53 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    I use A mode most of the time (vcyclenut flash with quick turn), commuting etc as the instantaneous throttle response is more "fun" but if I'm pushing harder I'll switch to standard as there is definitely finer control closer to the limit. Seems somewhat ironic really to use the softer map when riding harder and vice versa
    Rhilder and Desert Rat like this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FZO9 View Post
    I have a stock 15, and I honestly like the snatchy throttle, makes me feel like I can take off really fast, with a twist of the throttle. feels like accelerating really fast all at once.

engine braking is a plus for me, when the throttle is released, so I really like it how it is.

Same here. It's one of the main reasons I still haven't flash mine yet, I don't want to lose the raw feeling.
    Most of the time I ride in STD mode since I commute to work. But I switch to A mode for the twisties to enjoy that raw, snatchy response.
    I regularly use the engine braking to my advantage. That's one thing about our Hyundai Tucson 1.6T that I hate. There's zero engine braking.
    If I ever end up flashing my ECU, I will request that all of the engine braking stays!!!
    Current ride: '15 Silver FZ09
    Past rides: '09 690 SMC / '10 WR250X / '96 CR250 / '88 RM80

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelObsession View Post
    No, the '15 does not have the updated maps - '17+ for all the fixes. Get a flash
    To be fair... the '15 did come with an updated throttle map over the '14. You could get your '14 mapped to the '15 settings if you asked your Yamaha dealer nicely, but there WAS a difference. It's nothing like the refinement of the '17's maps or the benefits of a 3rd-party flash, but when he says updated maps, he is correct. A stock '14 would be worse on the throttle than his '15.

'14<'15-'16<'17.

Member #

First day with the FZ

I have mine flashed by vcyclenut. It starts in 'A' mode. It's not that he takes away the rawness, it's just makes the throttle more linear. And because it's fly by wire he makes it so your input ratio is faster. I'm pretty sure he said that with my wrist at 30% the throttle body is open to right above 50% and then it's just smoother and faster as you twist, giving you a faster response but still being smoother than stock. Standard mode is 1:1 ratio and 'B' mode can finally be opened up to 100%. You don't have to turn off engine braking if you don't want to. I left mine on. He turns off the O2 sensor, which also smooths out the mapping. Removes the rev limiter top speed. Also, optimizes Fueling, timing, throttle maps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rednipj; 06-16-2017 at 05:32 AM.
    Evol likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FZO9 View Post

You should try a Hayabusa sometime...true widow makers in the wrong hands...and even in the right ones sometimes....
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links