Help with this problem.
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Help with this problem.

This is a discussion on Help with this problem. within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; My bike scared the crap out of me today multiple times by the engine stalling unpredictability. I rode home as gingerly as possible but the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Help with this problem.

Member #

Help with this problem.

My bike scared the crap out of me today multiple times by the engine stalling unpredictability. I rode home as gingerly as possible but the engine stalled several times under strange circumstances.

Stall number one happened after deceleration while I was going to pull into a parking spot, I pulled in he clutch and then while still moving the engine stalled. It took multiple cranks on the starter to restart.

Decelerating to a stoplight I clutch in and again while moving engine dies. After one crank engine restarts and I try to accelerate into first gear bike stalls. Restart, bike bogs and misses with minimal throttle, then after more throttle the bike wheelies five feet then falls on its face and bogs again. I pull over and bike seems to be fine after a curbside inspection. Nothing suspicious from the outside.

I decide to ride the bike home gingerly at this point, better to limp home than wait for a tow.

Bike dies again in third gear rolling, again when decelerating when traffic ahead of me slowed to a crawl. After two starter attempts engine restarts. Again engine bogs and sputtered in first then power surged to make another in wanted wheelie. And again after standing up engine dies and I drag the back tire to the side of the road.

Wtf. I bet every car on the road must have thought I was a complete dumbass.

Bike is now home but I am looking for suggestions as to where to hunt for this gremlin. Two days ago my bike was fine and rode a good 50 miles without any issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Does anyone else think the little yellow triangles on the cars mirrors are cool when they light up for you?

Member #
    clean your clutch switch out

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by krisfz View Post
    clean your clutch switch out
    Having a hard time seeing how this is a clutch switch issue. The clutch switch only matters when you are starting the bike in gear. It is open and closed all the time during normal operation.

That being said I'm not sure what OP's issue is. Maybe fouled plugs? Coil going bad? Kink in a fuel/vacuum/breather line?

OP what mod's are you running? Any fueling related?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I do have a reflash, but I have done nothing mechanical to the bike in a month. Lotta rainy days lately.

Does anyone else think the little yellow triangles on the cars mirrors are cool when they light up for you?

Member #
    I have a feeling it is something electrical, will double check electrical connections. This problem seems to be a mystery to me, I haven't changed anything in over a month, yet something sure is wrong..

Member #
    Has it been sitting for awhile? Have you put fuel stabilizer in the tank? The obvious thing is water in gas maybe?

Member #
    Think I may have found it. Bad battery terminal. It wiggles. I found it when I plugged in my battery tender and something was making an audible high frequency noise from the battery when on the charger. I shook the cables and the battery terminal moved with the cables, but the battery didn't move. I guess I need a new battery.

Member #
    Good find, bro!
    Enjoy.
    Machine: Red '14 FZ09

WARNING: This bike will put a permanent smile on your face!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 405 South View Post
    I do have a reflash, but I have done nothing mechanical to the bike in a month. Lotta rainy days lately.

Who did the reflash? Probably worth talking to them as well.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    Who did the reflash? Probably worth talking to them as well.
    Vcyclenut did his flash about 2 months ago
    2014 FZ09 Mods> Ivans ECU Flash....... Penske 8983....... GP fork piston kit.......Woodcraft Frame Sliders....Woodcraft Axle Sliders ...Woodcraft Engine guards...Chinese spools...
    Spiegler SS brake lines .....APE CC tensioner .....Antigravity AG-801 Battery......tripage LED headlight.......tripage LED pegs ...Watsen Design front turn signals..and some other stuff I dont feel like listing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links