Interested in purchasing a 2017 FZ09. Have some Questions/Help
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Interested in purchasing a 2017 FZ09. Have some Questions/Help within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; Hello! So as the title says I'm looking to buy a 17' FZ-09. I currently ride a 2015 CBR500 that I'm looking to trade in. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Interested in purchasing a 2017 FZ09. Have some Questions/Help

Member #

Hello! So as the title says I'm looking to buy a 17' FZ-09. I currently ride a 2015 CBR500 that I'm looking to trade in. I know the price of the bike has increased slightly but I'm curious to know what some of you all paid for your FZ09 when you bought it new OTD?

I'm working with a local dealer who says they are trying to get me the $5500 I owe on my CBR (owned about one year and the trade in value is right around $3900-4k). However, of course they need to get me somewhere so they have given me the following breakdown on the price of the FZ-09:

MSRP: $8,999
    BS Fee: $670
    BS Fee: $630
    BS Dealer Fee: $300
    Tag/Title Transfer: $30
    + Taxes (6%)
    Estimated Total: $11,266.74

Now this obviously seems like a lot to pay for a $9000 bike - Even being upside down on my trade in. So I wanted to get some feedback from the community. I thought about buying used and saving myself A LOT of money but I'm still a relatively new rider and put a lot of value in the ABS, TC, new styling, and the updated clutch. Therefore I really want to stick with a 17'.

Really appreciate any feedback/suggestions. Thanks in advance! Hopefully I'll be joining your ranks soon.
    Last edited by Mr.Buddha; 02-07-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Member #
    I paid $7600 before taxes for my 2015 near the end of 2015. I didn't pay any bull crap fees, only the excruciatingly high Louisiana state and local tax rate of 9% and a bunch of bull crap title/registration fees (all outside of the dealer's control).

You shouldn't pay anything except the price of the bike and tax, title and license.

Member #
    also, here is a lengthy thread that covers this topic: Fz-09 price out the door?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thanks, just looking through that thread it looks like people paid A LOT less than what I am being quoted (even accounting for the base increase price).

I know having the negative equity on the trade in is hurting me but 11.3K still seems ridiculous.

Member #
    Buy a nice used 2015 or 2016 and save yourself 4 or 5k ?
    Crossbar1773 likes this.

Member #
    Yea believe me I definitely considered this. I really would like a 17' for the reasons above. Just want to make sure that I don't get bent over by the dealer and instead pay a fair price. Hoping maybe some members on this forum are a little more versed in new motorcycle purchasing than I am lol.

Member #
    Sell your 500 in a private sale. Dealerships will rarely give you top dollar for your used bike, even if its a year old. I had a dealer offer me 4k for my 2008 R1, sold it to some dude in Maryland the next month for 6500. So it might be in your best interest to sell it privately then use that cash to burn the negative equity you have ,then start working a deal there. Just my $.02

Also, try to find some cheaper '17 FZ's on cycletrader, around the country, and try to get your dealer to match their prices. However, make sure they don't jack up those BS rates/ fees to compensate their "discount" on the MSRP.

Good luck my friend!
    Desert Rat likes this.

Member #
    "Sell your 500 in a private sale." +1 on this.

My dealer was going to give me $3,000 on my R6 and I ended up selling it privately for $4,500. Maybe you can get the $5,500 you owe on it, pay off that bike, and then start fresh.

Also, in my opinion, ABS and TC are completely unnecessary. You can get a low mileage '15 or '16 for almost half the price. $11,000+ is astronomical.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    New bikes are a commodity. Buying one is little different than buying orange juice futures like Eddie Murphy and the Duke brother did in trading places. They are basically all the same, except for color. Shop around. Even if you have to have one shipped in (as I did from Fargo to Atlanta), it can save you a ton. With zero miles and full warranty on the bike, you hold all the cards in the negotiation. Shop the colder climate shops as they are facing more months of snow (read as months of carrying costs) that the southern dealers aren't.
    massrider likes this.
    2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
    2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Current
    2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold
    1996 Honda CBR 600F3 - Sold
    1985 Honda VF700F - Sold

Member #
    It's difficult to resist that new bike smell...been there done that...

Motorcycle dealers will disagree with what I'm about to say, but here goes:

If you owe more than your Honda is worth, you may want to rethink your financial situation before going into even more debt or you may end up upside down on the new bike as well, just repeating the cycle (no pun intended). ;-)

I would think about selling the Honda outright, and delivering pizzas for a few weeks or some other second job to pay off the loan balance, then saving up and paying cash for a good used bike. Your insurance would cost much less (maybe just carry liability and a good lock at that point). And you would enjoy the bike much more, not having to make those pesky monthly payments...

And since you are a new rider, statistics show you are more likely to drop the bike or get into an accident, so let a used bike take the dents and dings until you acquire a few more thousand miles under your belt...

As you probably figured by now, I am a big fan of Dave Ramsey...lol
    Speedy, Camp49, Desert Rat and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links