Possibly purchasing a new FZ09
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Possibly purchasing a new FZ09 within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; Hello All, My local dealership has a "brand new" 2015 fz09 for sale with no previous owner. It has been sitting on their floor for ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Possibly purchasing a new FZ09

Member #

Hello All,
    My local dealership has a "brand new" 2015 fz09 for sale with no previous owner. It has been sitting on their floor for a while now and they keep dropping the price on it. I think I could get a good deal and plan on scheduling a test ride soon. The new 2017's have some pretty appealing new features, but I prefer the looks of the 14-16's. I'm 6'0" and 215lbs. Do you think that the 2015 fz09's suspension would be adequate for my size? I'm pretty new to riding and have put 3000 miles on my Yamaha xt250. I'm just ready for more bike that's better suited for the street. I will definitely treat the 847cc wheelie machine with responsibility. With all the new naked bikes coming out now, would you still pick the fz09 after owning it? How reliable do you feel the fz09 is? I've also been eyeing the duke 690, and 2017 Kawasaki z650 and z900. Thanks for your help.

Member #
    Welcome tp the forum.

Short answer re suspension: it depends on what you want and several othet variables.

Search is your friend as there are many threads on the topic.
    CMSP/MTC and Total Control IRC and ARC instructor and MSF Ridercoach
    2014 FZ-09: received 9/24/13, Traxxion Dynamics AT20 fork cartridges, Penske shock, R1/R6 master cylinder, SSL lines, custom tail, T-rex frame sliders and case protectors, ThrottleMeister handlebar end weights, G2 Throttle tamer, ECU reflashed by Ivan, custom tank protectors, mirrors with turnsignals built-in, Renthal 828 handlebar, ErMax 25cm screen and ErMax radiator shrouds, raised Sargent seat.

Member #
    > Do you think that the 2015 fz09's suspension would be adequate for my size?

Sure, you could say I'm biased given what I do, but no, it's not. Unless you have a very liberal definition of "adequate".
    Ride it for a few months and if you feel you have no major objections, then no sweat. But if you can find $5-700 it can materially improve matters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Buy the FZ. You will love it. I've only been riding a few years so I don't have a ton of wisdom when it comes to how a suspension 'should' feel, but I'm similar size to you and it's fine for me. (I tightened the stock suspension as far as it goes). Overall the bike is very reliable. I have 3,500 miles on mine and haven't had any issues. I've left it sit outside in the cold for a week straight and it fires right up. I paid $8k OTD for my 2015 so depending on what they're asking, you could get a great deal. By far the best thing about this bike is the torque. The engine is just a beast. Test ride it and you will see. Oh and as for if I'd buy the same bike again if I could do it over, absolutely. I was leaning towards an FZ07 as first until I test road the FZ09!! First time in my life I was happy that the dealership tried to up-sell me! Good luck and let us know if you decide to go for it!

Member #
    I would also see what the price will be on the 'soon to be released' 765cc Street Triple. Very little info available on it's specs but rumored to be ride by wire

Member #
    If you buy a 15 model look at all the money you'll save for a suspension if you need to go that route. Like it's been said ride for a while see what you think. But out of all the mods I've done if I had to do it all over again suspension would have been the first. A close second would be a good seat.
    kevinh likes this.

Member #
    If the FZ was my only bike I'd consider a few others first but that is knowing the fz is 95% of any of the others while WAY underpriced for what it offers. Being a fairly new rider I say get it! Do some research on adjusting oem suspension and get it as close as it will get stock. As a newer rider you are not going to know the difference from the stock stuff to ohlins. Put miles on it and throw some money at the suspension when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    The engine truly is outstanding, but the suspension is only good for in town commuting. Any spirited twisty stuff and I'm pretty sure you'll be looking to upgrade. A rear shock and higher viscosity oil in the forks makes a world of difference and I'm sure front cartridges would take it to the next level. I'm 225 lbs with gear and about to turn 60 years old and my setup is all I need. Ten years ago I would have upgraded the forks.
    2015 FZ09 (The Fuzz)
    2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (Tango)
    2003 Yamaha Zuma (no name...my everyday wheels)

Member #
    This bike is definitely made for the street and it has the power to back it up! I recently purchased a brand new 2016 FZ09 for 6k and plan on making the suspension upgrades when possible. It is also my first bike so I can't give much wisdom into the mechanics of how good the suspension should be but, I am 6'3, 250lbs and the suspension is good for me. It does get a little crazy when you're following those curves at a decent speed and catch a bump in the road but, other than that it absorbs practically any bump you may encounter. I did adjust the forks to get a more stable setup and as well as the rear so you can try that if you feel the stock is too soft for your taste.

As for seating position of the bike, I love it because I have tons of room and feel completely comfortable. The only issue I've run into is when I wear boots my foot gets caught when shifting up. As a solution, I wear high top sneakers and those work just fine.
    The seat is a separate endeavor because I find that the comfortable ride time is around 45 min. After that you will start to feel discomfort but the trade-off with the incredible engine is totally worth it. There are tons of solutions out there for seats if you ever feel like venturing that way.

I love this bike with all my heart and it is truly the most fun that I have had riding any sort of vehicle, I practically fall asleep when I'm forced to drive my car, so I would definitely recommend this bike to anyone. Of course you need to be responsible but, if you do that then this bike is a dream and it will definitely satisfy that want of having power at the flick of your wrist.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamingyellow View Post
    The engine truly is outstanding, but the suspension is only good for in town commuting. Any spirited twisty stuff and I'm pretty sure you'll be looking to upgrade. A rear shock and higher viscosity oil in the forks makes a world of difference and I'm sure front cartridges would take it to the next level. I'm 225 lbs with gear and about to turn 60 years old and my setup is all I need. Ten years ago I would have upgraded the forks.
    I think this is a typical review however I don't think it reflects most riders and especially new riders. I'm not the fastest guy but have found the edge of suspension performance on the fz. I stiffened it all the way up and was pushing the front end. For a newer rider it's going to be fine for the first 6-12 months assuming you are progressing in ability.

In fairness I have a separate track bike and if I didn't I would likely make the same upgrades as you. I stand by my comments to OP though. Get the bike, stiffen the stock stuff and out as many twisty miles as you can! Worry about the suspension once your ability starts to catch up. I rode with a couple quick buddies on the fz for the first time and at our first stop everyone was telling me how surprised they were that I kept up on that bike. Going from my r6 they expected me to be slower. Number one thing about this suspension is when you're riding hard the feedback is non-existent due to being at the edge of its use ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links