considering fz09!!
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

considering fz09!!

This is a discussion on considering fz09!! within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; hello I'm new to the forum. I am currently riding a ninja 300. I'm 5'9 140lb but I'd be riding two up once the weather ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: considering fz09!!

Member #

considering fz09!!

hello I'm new to the forum. I am currently riding a ninja 300. I'm 5'9 140lb but I'd be riding two up once the weather warms up. was wondering what you guys think of an 09 for a 2nd bike I could grow in to. the other bike I'm considering is a gsxs750. I know the differences between the two. I'm not looking to start a war just simply hoping for some insight from owners.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by getgoodslicks View Post
    hello I'm new to the forum. I am currently riding a ninja 300. I'm 5'9 140lb but I'd be riding two up once the weather warms up. was wondering what you guys think of an 09 for a 2nd bike I could grow in to. the other bike I'm considering is a gsxs750. I know the differences between the two. I'm not looking to start a war just simply hoping for some insight from owners.
    As much as love my FZ 09, I don't think I'd ever recommend it as a two up machine. The passenger pegs are very high and your pillion's knees will be up to their chin!

Having said all that, and having no experience on the 09 two up, I do think there are ways (kits) to lower them.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    sobe likes this.
    2015 Matte Grey FZ-09 --- Oxford Heated Grips --- Spiegler S/S Brake lines --- OES Frame Sliders --- OES Front Axle Sliders --- GYTR Rad Guard --- GYTR Windscreen --- Racetech Gold Valves --- Racetech Fork Springs --- ZX6R Rear Shock --- Navajo LED Turn Signals --- Tripage Gold LED Headlamp --- E-Bay Pazzo Knockoff Levers --- Termignoni Carbon Exhaust --- Power Commander 5 w/O2 Optimizer --- Yoshimura Fender Eliminator

Member #
    IMO,

my first motorcycle was a 883 Harley Sportster, plenty of motor, power, too heavy.

second motorcycle was a 250 Kawasaki, very light and nimble, but no power, sadly,

about 800 CC is plenty of power, and the FZ has that, plus its a light motorcycle

2 things to consider when getting a a motorcycle, is how well it will handle, and how much power you need.

plus the bigger motor bikes tend to cost more on insurance.

and if your riding 2 up youre gonna need a bigger motor for the added weight.

which is not really true because I've seen people ride 2 up on mopeheads.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I don't think either would be at the top of my list for primarily riding two up, although they both can do it. An FJ09 would probably be a better choice of Yamis if two up is what you'll mainly be doing. If two up is occasional thing, then the FZ or GSX would do the trick.
    shamrock likes this.

Member #
    never considered that, I actually just searched through the forums and what you said about the pegs is confirmed multiple times. im going to look in to the whole lowering kit. have you done any mods? I plan on getting a flash as soon as I get my next bike.

Member #
    I would two up occasionally, it wouldn't be touring or everyday. I commute everywhere on the ninja. I really want something that isn't heavy or underpowered.

Member #
    Well the FZ is lighter (by 40lbs) and has more torque and hp than the gsxs. Sportrider and Cycleworld have comparisons online between the two, you can just google it.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    I rode the GSXS750, the FZ-07 and the FZ-09 back to back to back at a comparison day at a shop near me and what a difference. In my opinion, the 750 and 07 were pretty similar from a performance perspective. In short, they are turtles compared to the FZ-09, which is why I just recently bought my FZ-09.

You don't have to want to go fast to appreciate the extra power on tap when you need it. It also depends what kind of riding you are doing, around town or highway, etc. Around town the torque of the FZ will make a huge difference, while on the highway it will be less noticeable. Can't say for sure, but I suspect the 4 cyl gsxs is probably smoother on the highway as each piston is a fair amount smaller than the 09. Another thing to think about would be the options/aftermarket farkles that are available for each bike. The FZ has a huge amount of fun stuff available for it, no idea about for the GSXS. Also consider availability of extended warranty. For the FZ, I added 4 years from the factory for about $350, no idea what is available for the gsxs.

I'll probably never two-up this bike, as among other things, that's what my Concours is for. My wife would never be comfortable on the back of the FZ.

I suspect you could find a really good deal on a used FZ-07 as many of the buyers of them pull the rip cord in favor of the something faster.

I have no idea what your budget is, but I paid $5500 (plus shipping) for a brand new 2015 FZ-09 about a month ago. For that kind of money, you could not possibly go wrong. But that also tells you, if you are willing to search you can find a great deal on whatever bike you decide on.

Good luck!
    2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
    2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Current

2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold
    1996 Honda CBR 600F3 - Sold
    1985 Honda VF700F - Sold

Member #
    I find the 09 smooth, except for the rumble at low revs. I call that character.
    Rocky_MTN_FZ09 and CRFan1 like this.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler

Member #
    I can't imagine anyone wanting to go on the back of an 09. The seat is tiny and thin and there is nothing to hold onto. Which is just perfect for me.................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links