Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

MT/FZ-09 Big & Little Brothers & ABS

This is a discussion on MT/FZ-09 Big & Little Brothers & ABS within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; Posted yesterday (8/28) @ visordown in Europe states that Yamaha says that the MT/FZ-09 is the first of 3 with a bigger and smaller MT/FZ ...

Thread: MT/FZ-09 Big & Little Brothers & ABS

Member #

MT/FZ-09 Big & Little Brothers & ABS

Posted yesterday (8/28) @ visordown in Europe states that Yamaha says that the MT/FZ-09 is the first of 3 with a bigger and smaller MT/FZ coming shortly. Also an ABS version by Dec.

Not sure how creditable this is, we'll see.

Yamaha announce MT-09 availability - Motorcycle news : General news - Visordown

Member #
    That's exactly why im still thinking (deciding) weather I should get the fz-09. Because if there's a R version comes out shortly after with more power and ABS or TC im definitely going to want it. I'm gonna wait it out this winter cuz you can't ride here in NY cuz of the snow.

In the meanwhile im gonna enjoy my turbo yammie snowmobile!
    Last edited by fxnytroxtx; 08-29-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    2010 Yamaha Nytro (1049cc triple) Turbo 240+hp

Thinking about getting fz-09

Member #
    1.5 hours south of Sydney, NSW, Australia
    wow .. if thats right ... they are coming out swinging against triumph, ducati, mvaugusta perhaps? ... but hitting hard into the streetfighter/fun/cool sector ... this could be interesting!
    I have a problem!! ... i keep looking at the pictures of the bike ... and now the pictures of the accessories ... and then ... DAMN!! it happened again!!

Member #
    I did some calculations to see what else could be done with this bore x stroke engine design. If one cylinder was lopped off to make a twin it would have a 566cc. Not quite enough engine to compete with the NC700 or Versys. If one cylinder was added to the triple to make a 4-cylinder motor the result would be 1,129cc. Again, not quite the right mix to compete with the 1,000's or the 1,200's. This scenario would have worked better if the base displacement of the FZ-09 engine was 900cc yielding a 600 twin, 900 triple and a 1,200 four. This is just economy in manufacturing. However, if another 3 cylinders were added to the 847cc triple, in either a straight-6 or a V-6 configuration, Yamaha would have a 1,694cc engine to compete with the BMW GTL. My take on the bigger and smaller versions of this 847cc triple will be using different bore and stroke dimensions.

Member #
    If that 566cc twin made around 67HP at the wheel and was put in a 360 pound wet naked sport bike it'd be a lot of fun, I might by it instead of the 09 even if it cost the same. I care more about light weight than big HP. To a point, less than 50 or 60HP then probably not.

Member #
    Well from what MotorcycleUSA posted today Yamaha has released the rest of their 2014 lineup and there is no Bigger or smaller new FZs in it. Maybe for 2015.

Electronic Suspension for 2014 Yamaha FJR - Motorcycle USA

So no need to wait unless you wanna roll the dice and hope for next year.

Links