Seat mod (reduce the forward slope) - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Seat mod (reduce the forward slope)

This is a discussion on Seat mod (reduce the forward slope) within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; Originally Posted by Spacecoast I'm probably one of the few people who think the stock foam in terms of density is fine...it's the darn slant ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Seat mod (reduce the forward slope)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacecoast View Post
    I'm probably one of the few people who think the stock foam in terms of density is fine...it's the darn slant that creates the problem. I just didn't want to try this and find that although the slant is gone, I now have a lumpy feeling under the middle of the seat. If this works, I'll give it a try.

One other question..in reference to the seat concepts "standard" seat...will the oem cover go back on using that foam set?
    I too would like to know if the grout sponge mod will work with the standard Seat Concepts cover. Mine has blue stitching around the bottom edge that will probably no be on the edge after the sponge mod but I'm more concerned if there is enough Seat Concepts material to accommodate the sponge mod. Anyone Know?
    When I was fast, motorcycles were slow.
    Now motorcycles are fast and I'm slow.

"Black is the only color for a motorcycle, unless you want to sell it, then paint it red."
    Melvin "Swede" Dunlap, 1966.

Member #
    The OEM cover fits over the modded OEM seat, so i cant see why the seat concepts seat cover wouldnt fit.

Member #
    Okay, I did the grout sponge mod to my Seat Concept standard seat with carbon seating surface on the stock pan, installed by SC. . Mine is has the earlier, slippery carbon as opposed to the one they use now that isn't as slippery. While the SC seat is better than stock to ride for several hours, I found myself locking my elbows to when going down hill to stop my boys from meeting the tank. It was a tiring maneuver. I don't want gripper material because I like to change position to maintain comfort.

Here's some tips on doing the mod.

1. It is much easier to do the sponge mod on a finished SC seat than using a new, uninstalled cover. There's no folding, trimming and you see how it's supposed to fit before starting. In the SC install video the guy takes more than half an hour to install a new cover and he's an expert with the correct tools. If I had to do it again it would probably take less than an hour with my minimal tools.

2. Speaking of tools, I bought Harbor Freight's cheapest manual staple gun on sale for $9 with 3/8" staples included. I recommend spending the dough for 1/4" staples as about 50% of my staples didn't penetrate all the way and I had to pull them. I think 1/4" ones would work better. The sponge was $2 at Home Depot.

3. The SC video makes it look tough to "work" the material to stretch over the foam and be stapled. It's not hard at all, just leave the seat in the sun for 20 minutes and it's easy peasy to pull it where you want. There's enough material on the previously installed cover to staple it to the underside of the pan. Mine turned out perfect, and I'm my toughest critic. There were some almost undetectable waves up near the center front after riding but they disappeared after the seat cooled down. I could fix it but probably won't. The seat looks like all the other sponge mods seats, unfortunately I haven't grasped how to post pics on this forum.

After around 120 miles of back roads today I can say problem solved. The feeling of holding my body back on the seat so it doesn't slide forward never occurred. Total investment, $11 and now I have a staple gun to tack targets up at the range. It would have cost $40 in shipping to SC even if they did the fix for free.

Props to Mcmann got inventing this mod.
    Last edited by 1duckyboy; 07-19-2015 at 11:57 PM.
    When I was fast, motorcycles were slow.
    Now motorcycles are fast and I'm slow.

"Black is the only color for a motorcycle, unless you want to sell it, then paint it red."
    Melvin "Swede" Dunlap, 1966.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I been reading all the posts , I had a comfort seat from new as a extra but had the same problem I kept sliding into the tank and squashing my mans bits and got fed up so tried a few custom seats and the best on I found was a street rally seat it transformed the riding position it was very cheap direct from Yamaha , so no more sliding into the tank and you can move around if you like to hang of it or get right back if you want to get down , if you get a chance just sit on one .
    Regards Dave
    jamin_00 likes this.

Member #
    *Subscribed

Member #
    I did the sponge mod, cut to size but i made mine a little longer to go past the lip on the seat plastic to lift up the front a little more. If you do this you'll see what i mean. Makes it just a little harder to stretch material over pad and staple, but wasn't that difficult. Just compress the pad with your foot or elbow while stapling. I used heavy duty hand stapler, just make sure to hold stapler firmly on the seat while stapling to get them to go in flat, Definite improvement. If you're sliding forward, do this. Total time about an hour, includes having to pull a few staples when done and restaple cause they didn't go in flat.

Sent from my N9810 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyno dave View Post
    I been reading all the posts , I had a comfort seat from new as a extra but had the same problem I kept sliding into the tank and squashing my mans bits and got fed up so tried a few custom seats and the best on I found was a street rally seat it transformed the riding position it was very cheap direct from Yamaha , so no more sliding into the tank and you can move around if you like to hang of it or get right back if you want to get down , if you get a chance just sit on one .
    Regards Dave
    I got the Comfy seat too, do you have a pic of your bike with the Street Rally seat? Does it look odd?

Member #
    Seat mod (reduce the forward slope)-img_20170123_174858381.jpgSeat mod (reduce the forward slope)-img_20170123_174904784.jpg

Here's mine with the street rally seat
    shamrock and jamin_00 like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links