Seat mod (reduce the forward slope) - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Seat mod (reduce the forward slope)

This is a discussion on Seat mod (reduce the forward slope) within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; I did this last night with an off cut of seat foam that i got for free at a local auto seat upholsterer. Because it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Seat mod (reduce the forward slope)

Member #
    I did this last night with an off cut of seat foam that i got for free at a local auto seat upholsterer. Because it goes under the OEM foam, once you put the cover back on and restaple it, it looks factory, just flatter.
    alnbama likes this.

Member #
    I just did this seat mod. Sitting on the bike in the garage it is much better! I'll take it for a spin in the a.m.

My mangina thanks you!

Ride Safe.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    I've tried grommets and some shims I made to raise the front of the seat, but I couldn't get any of it to stay put or work like I wanted. Then I came up with this fix and I am very pleased with it. It raises the front of the seat about 5/16" and it does make a difference. I bought a pack of 3/4" inside diameter rubber feet at Trust Worthy Hardware. I notched two of them so they fit over the molded post in the base. When I had the fit right, I used Liquid Nails to glue them on. I had to cut about a 5/8" deep notch that was about 3/4" wide at the widest point. My seat is a Seat Concepts and the foam is comfortable, but the angle kept shoving the twins into the tank. The seat removes and installs easier than before, there is almost no slop in the fit, and the rubber caps aren't going anywhere. The whole gig took about 20 minutes.

Seat mod (reduce the forward slope)-imag0647-1-.jpgSeat mod (reduce the forward slope)-imag0651-1-.jpgSeat mod (reduce the forward slope)-imag0652-1-.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    I've tried grommets and some shims I made to raise the front of the seat, but I couldn't get any of it to stay put or work like I wanted. Then I came up with this fix and I am very pleased with it. It raises the front of the seat about 5/16" and it does make a difference. I bought a pack of 3/4" inside diameter rubber feet at Trust Worthy Hardware. I notched two of them so they fit over the molded post in the base. When I had the fit right, I used Liquid Nails to glue them on. I had to cut about a 5/8" deep notch that was about 3/4" wide at the widest point. My seat is a Seat Concepts and the foam is comfortable, but the angle kept shoving the twins into the tank. The seat removes and installs easier than before, there is almost no slop in the fit, and the rubber caps aren't going anywhere. The whole gig took about 20 minutes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0647[1].jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	16137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0651[1].jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	16138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0652[1].jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	16139
    Nice mod. I just did this but all they had at the store were 7/8 rubber feet so that's what I used. They didn't fit as snug as your's, so I just drilled a small hole through the whole rubber foot/seat base assembly and pushed a nail through and bent the end. On tight, no need for adhesive, slick mod, thanks for the idea.
    '16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

Member #
    One thing that bothers me about the seat is the huge unsightly gap underneath... So mods adding shims and pads underneath are not the right way for me. Attached a picture looking at the gap I'm referring to... I noticed that the rearmost bumper wasn't even close to the seat, so I wanted to focus on the rear latch plate. With the plate removed, the seat was perfect (although not latched down of course) so the strategy is to lower the latch plate.

Put it in the vise to straighten out the bends a little bit, and enlarged the edge mounting holes for the flatter plate. Much better, and I could have gone further as it's still not contacting the rearmost pad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seat mod (reduce the forward slope)-image.jpg   Seat mod (reduce the forward slope)-image.jpg   Seat mod (reduce the forward slope)-image.jpg  
    Last edited by Harsay; 06-27-2015 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added the "after" picture
    quicksilver likes this.
    2015 FZ09 Rapid Red
    2010 Ducati 1198 street bike
    2008 Ducati 1098R with 1198RS11 engine track bike
    2008 Ducati 848 track bike
    2008 Ducati 848 street bike
    2016 Ninja 300 track bike

Member #
    Just pay to have it upholstered, better to fix the problem then try to mask it.

Seat mod (reduce the forward slope)-img_20150604_113852213_hdr.jpgSeat mod (reduce the forward slope)-img_20150604_113859123.jpg
    ridetofish and quicksilver like this.
    This is going to be tough, really tough, like tough times tough to the power of tough.

2014 Blazin' Orange,
    Full Arrow Exhaust, Harsay Flash, Moto Gadget M-Blaze Ice Signals,
    Fender Eliminator, Puig Flyscreen, Sergant Seat.

Member #
    I did fix the problem for free.

Member #
    it looks factory, just flatter.
    But the real question is...how does it feel? Does it feel like there is a grout sponge under your butt, or does the seat actually feel better? Does it result in the middle of the seat being either more firm or pushed up, which is already a ball killer, or does it really help in making the seat flatter and more comfortable? Inquiring minds what to know...
    Last edited by Spacecoast; 06-27-2015 at 06:01 PM.
    Harsay likes this.

Member #
    The additional foam is under the OEM foam, so it feels like the factory seat, but flatter. Like I said before.
    It doesn't make the factory seat foam magically change density or anything, it just makes it flatter. Not sure what else I can say to describe it, really.
    And hell, it's free, give it a try, if you don't like it, pull the extra foam back out, or spend a few hundred bucks on a seat that turns the bike into a lazy boy if you want to.

Member #
    I'm probably one of the few people who think the stock foam in terms of density is fine...it's the darn slant that creates the problem. I just didn't want to try this and find that although the slant is gone, I now have a lumpy feeling under the middle of the seat. If this works, I'll give it a try.

One other question..in reference to the seat concepts "standard" seat...will the oem cover go back on using that foam set?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links