Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Bike recommendation...like FZ-09

This is a discussion on Bike recommendation...like FZ-09 within the FZ-09 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; I brought in the Shadow to get inspected and went next door. I sat on the SV650, it was almost comfortable. It was also the ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Bike recommendation...like FZ-09

Jen
    Member #
    I brought in the Shadow to get inspected and went next door. I sat on the SV650, it was almost comfortable. It was also the same 8k.as the Yamaha. I also sat on a ninja. I was not in love. The FZ made an impression. Sigh.

The back thing is from two car accidents where I was rear ended on my way home from work, at the same exit on a parkway in NY. You can't make this stuff up.
    Last edited by Jen; 12-28-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Member #
    Hey Jen! Welcome to the forum!

A lot of good advice in this thread already, especially Meridians (if there was ever a post explaining EXACTLY why a newer rider should not buy an FZ-09, that is it).

If you are set on a new bike, I'd point you towards the new Honda CB500X based on what you've said. It's upright, has a more comfortable seat than the FZ, has a torquey parallel twin engine, decent wind protection, averages 53mpg, and weighs 400lbs - maybe the perfect bike for cruising at 45mph! Plus I believe they are a grand or two less than the Yamaha, at least they are here in Canada.

Regardless of what you choose, gear up and take your time getting to know the new bike.
    v2Bob likes this.
    "I'm so mean I make medicine sick!" C.C.

Member #
    "Murvil" TN.......18 miles from Deals Gap
    ^^^^That's a good lookin bike right there^^^^
    "If it ain't fast...........It ain't fun"!

Vern........ Sportbike Track Time Southern Region Instructor

Member #
    Kawasaki Versys - sporty and comfortable. old technology, 454lbs
    Honda NC700X - comfortable, not so sporty -best gas mileage you'll ever get. Very smooth power delivery, great as a commuter - 475lbs
    Honda CB500X - comfortable, fairly sporty - lighter than the NC700X (430lbs vs 475)

Wait a few months and get the Yamaha FZ-07. Sporty, lighter even than the fz-09 (360lbs vs 414) - better fuel mileage - and cheaper to insure. FWIW - it's styled similar to the FZ-09, but with several things that I prefer (the dash is centered, I like it's tail better...).

Insurance costs will vary greatly - check around before buying so you don't get a good price on a bike you can't afford to insure. My insurance company quoted me $225 for the NC700x and over $1000 for the FZ-09. I was leaning towards an NC700X until the FZ09 showed up (for carrying my daughter it would be better - but I was a bad daddy and gave in to what I wanted)... I switched back to Dairyland insurance for $600 on the FZ-09... One way to get lower insurance is to keep your old bike and make the new one the second on a policy - or get a small enduro or scooter to be your primary. For young drivers, or drivers with a questionable record it can really save a lot.
    3OFAKIND likes this.

Member #
    "Murvil" TN.......18 miles from Deals Gap
    I thought the FZ 07 wasn't coming to the U.S.???? Did I miss something here?
    "If it ain't fast...........It ain't fun"!

Vern........ Sportbike Track Time Southern Region Instructor

Member #
    I would suggest you go to yamahamotor corp. Facebook page and demand that they bring the brand new MT-07 to the USA. It sounds like it would be the perfect bike for you, and many other people as well.

Jen
    Member #
    Also, do sport bike dealers let you demo the bikes? If I was able to ride the '09, even if just around the parking lot, I would have an idea if I wanted the bike. The dealer I went to said that they don't offer test rides. The Harley dealer will let you demo a new 25k bike and I can't demo an 8k Yamaha. Weird.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Also, do sport bike dealers let you demo the bikes? If I was able to ride the '09, even if just around the parking lot, I would have an idea if I wanted the bike. The dealer I went to said that they don't offer test rides. The Harley dealer will let you demo a new 25k bike and I can't demo an 8k Yamaha. Weird.

Try a different dealer. Yamaha has a demo program that many larger dealers will participate in. I was able to demo an FZ at a large dealer in MN.

Member #
    It depends on the size of the dealership and how many they have. I know one who bought a demo bike just for giving test rides...your dealer may have only 1 fz...in which case they can't give rides on it. Where in pa are you? Maybe someone on this forum could give you a test ride. I am in philly, for one. There are some folks in the lehigh valley/ easton area also...where else?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    '14 Liquid Graphite FZ-09 #112....RIP 4/16/14
    '02 YZF-600R -SOLD-
    Yamaha 650 Maxim -1st Bike, RIP-

help me on my road to recovery: LehighLuke involved in near fatal motorcycle accident

www.lucastechnical.com
    www.beadbuster.com

Member #
    To echo everybody else...not a beginner bike, and there are a lot of other options. The 09 definitely helps with back pain...i had a FZ6R which is upright too but it hurt after about 20 minutes. I'm surprised your suzuki backfires, I bet it has an aftermarket exhaust that wasn't done right. I have a friend with a S50 and his had no issues with backfires. S stands for sport and C is either cruiser or comfort in suzuki terms and the m's are supposed to be in between. Definitely get a test ride in before you buy it...its an amazing motorcycle, but it kicked my ass and i have about a years worth of experience on a 600cc inline 4 and i went down within a few weeks although i was being foolish. ride safe!
    Graphite #108 "EARL"
    Mods: Satin black paint, ZX-10 Shock, Fork Replacement Springs, CREE L.E.D. Headlamp, bullet LED turn signals with front and rear turn signal running lights, Custom LED Brake modulator, Seat Concepts Seat, Tech Spec Tank Grips and tank protector, Pro Taper handlebars(black) Stoltec ECU , OES fork sliders & swing arm sliders, Mad Hornet Gold levers, MRA double bubble, speigler lines, barkbuster s1's.
    Future Mods: engine sliders, EBC double H brake pads, GPR Stabilizer.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links