Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Polairs Slingshot. Pretty damn ugly...IMO

27K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  MK3Brent 
#1 ·
This is ugly and it cost $22k. I'd rather have a real motorcycle or a real car. What makes it worse is that it's ugly.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Red Sports car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Vintage car

See less See more
#4 ·
I agree with FastEddy the Ariel Atom is way cooler. You guys should look it up if you haven't already. My boss runs an open wheel racer that can corner faster than the bikes on the track. I always thought bikes were faster but 4 slicks make a car stick pretty good.

#8 ·
The cockpit looks nicer - but I have a friend who uses a 250cc Chinese 3 wheeler to commute that looks better and cost him $6,000. It cruises nicely at 70mph, is fun in corners and never gets below 60mpg. Being lower to the ground and able to see the ground closer to you makes it seem as though you're going faster than you really are - but I'd rather have a Miata than any 3 wheeler...

#21 ·
This is definitely a love it or hate it thing. I'm first on the list for test drive at my dealer (own RZR XP900). There are a ton of Polaris haters, prob many on here. Fact is, they are a leader in nearly every catagory they're involved with and aren't afraid to take bold leaps to beat the competition or start a new trend. Hate them if you want, but be glad they're around as they've been pushing the industry and competition to continually strive to improve.

They took a great leap and risk producing this machine. Considering all the competition, I think they priced the Slingshot extremely reasonably (look at $75k T-Rex). After switching from quads to my RZR, I can see my g/f and I have more fun, and getting more use out of something like this. We'll see what it's all about on the test drive...

#23 ·
This is definitely a love it or hate it thing. I'm first on the list for test drive at my dealer (own RZR XP900). There are a ton of Polaris haters, prob many on here. Fact is, they are a leader in nearly every category they're involved with and aren't afraid to take bold leaps to beat the competition or start a new trend. Hate them if you want, but be glad they're around as they've been pushing the industry and competition to continually strive to improve.

They took a great leap and risk producing this machine. Considering all the competition, I think they priced the Slingshot extremely reasonably (look at $75k T-Rex). After switching from quads to my RZR, I can see my g/f and I have more fun, and getting more use out of something like this. We'll see what it's all about on the test drive...
Not a Polairs hater. I love new products and new product categories. It comes down to the styling. IMO, it's bad inside and out. The KTM and Ariel are much better looking vehicles. Also, I'd rather have four wheels rather than three.

#22 ·
I'm not sure how different they are, but yes it is a 2.4L Ecotec. Back in my Jbody days (10 years ago), guys were putting manifolds and turbos from SAAB on they're Ecotecs as they were direct bolt on. At 5psi, made the car pretty fun.

#24 · (Edited)
You guys do understand that the Ktm crossbow lists for like 90k and the slingshot only 20k, right? Isn't the Ariel Atom well over the price of the KTM? Also there is the T-rex which is also multiple times the price of the Polaris. You should be comparing the Slingshot to the Can Am Spyder if anything since that is the only 3 wheeler that even comes close to the Slingshot's price. I like it much better than the Can Am.

I hope the Slingshot is a flop, I'm looking to get rid of the Mustang and replace it with a Slingshot and the cheaper I can do that the better. :) I doubt the Slingshot is much lower to the ground than my Honda S2000. Insurance should be very cheap on it with a multi bike policy, and it would be great for grocery runs. For the guys with 100 lb dogs your dogs will love you for it.

I am curious about it's towing capabilities. A small flatbed trailer and it can truly replace a car, except that you would have to wear rain gear when it rains. In Socal that is only like 1 day every 2 weeks. Cecil would love riding in it, as would larger dogs that cannot ride on the 2 wheeled bikes :)

#26 · (Edited)
With the sing sided swingarm, your towing capacity is going to = 0, as there is no where to attach any kind of hitch.

Plus the back end of the Slingshot just looks like they ran out of money to finish it off. Nice license plate hanger, lol
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Formula libre Automotive design

You'll have to go with a Spyder to pull that trailer.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

#29 ·
With the sing sided swingarm, your towing capacity is going to = 0, as there is no where to attach any kind of hitch.

Plus the back end of the Slingshot just looks like they ran out of money to finish it off. Nice license plate hanger, lol
It looks like they are using the upper frame/rollbars to attach a trailer to the Slingshot now. Others are designing an additional rear frame that will join the rollbar and the lower frame. LOL! Make something cheap enough and the geeks will find a way! :)

#30 ·
Lemme see if I get all this:
It has a GM four cylinder car engine from a front wheel drive car, only it's mounted longitudinally & hooked to a transmission attached to a short drive shaft. The shaft connects to a bevel gear assembly that turns a pulley that drives belt to a single rear wheel pushing a 1,700+ lb vehicle + the weight of the occupants.
Vehicle

Nothing to go wrong there.
:rolleyes:

#31 ·
I spent about an hour with a Slingshot (test drive). It turns a lot of heads and is pretty fun to drift, but over all it's a turd performance wise. Not enough power and it's hard to launch as all it wants to do is spin the rear tire. If you have $22k to spend go buy a used Miata, Z4, or S2000. You'll have more performance and use ability. Granted it's not as flashy or polarizing but you'll be happier. As for these not selling, that is way off. My dealer is selling them as fast as they can get them. Although that won't last. I remember the same thing happened when the PT Cruiser first came out. I will say the thing is low slung and made me nervous in traffic, especially when I got stuck next to a semi for a couple miles. I just knew that any minute I was going to be riding under a semi instead of next to it. Although I think it would fit.

#37 ·
As for these not selling, that is way off. My dealer is selling them as fast as they can get them.
I have seen 4 of these things around in the past couple of weeks including one I followed up a to a local mountain top with my FZ. I remember saying to myself that it looked half done, or like roller coaster car ! The back wheel kept squeaking as the guy cornered hard. I am sure it is fun, and they do turn heads, but not my thing.

Reactions: Crosshairs
#32 ·
I'd rather find a nice low mileage used Mustang convertible, then you could still use it as a daily driver. If money was not an option, then it would be a Ariel Atom, Nomad or maybe an Ace. Need to win the Lottery, lol.

Atom
Land vehicle Vehicle Formula libre Car Model car

Nomad
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Formula libre

Ace
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive exhaust

p.s. - If you want to tow a trailer with a Slingshot???? i yi yi, wrong vehicle to use for a Costco run, lol.

Reactions: edgyver
#33 · (Edited)
I agree, the Slingshot does not look finished. I think it looks much nicer with this aftermarket body kit that is supposedly going to be available soon. The true beauty of it is that it is a motorcycle, so insurance on it should be dirt cheap. I can probably get liability and theft on it for under $200 a year with my multi bike policy. My S2000 use to cost me $800 a year for the same coverage. Also, the S2000 was a pita to work on. I have a feeling the body panels pop off this thing and you can work on it right through the frame :)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.