2016 ZX6R vs FZ-09
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

2016 ZX6R vs FZ-09

This is a discussion on 2016 ZX6R vs FZ-09 within the Other Bikes forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; Well, that was interesting. This bike is unlike anything I have ever owned. The first time I rode the FZ-09, I was coming from a ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 2016 ZX6R vs FZ-09

Jen
    Member #
    Well, that was interesting. This bike is unlike anything I have ever owned. The first time I rode the FZ-09, I was coming from a Harley. There was no learning curve. The R3 was definitely different. I remember riding that for the first time, home when I got it. I had been on a Ninja 300 previous to that. The ride home on the R3 was fascinating to say the least. It took some adjustment, a few miles and it was fine.

I took the ZX6R out for the first time just now.

ZX6R-
    Pluses:
    1) its bigger than the R3, my legs are bent on the R3 and it's so small I feel like I'm on a toy
    2) better brakes
    3) better suspension
    4) looks like a much higher quality bike, because it is
    5) power

Negatives-
    1) holy learning curve, not for the power as much as the seating position!

I was standing waiting for the bike to warm up, feet were almost flat and I felt like the bike was solid, so that was nice. Kicked it into first. Went to take off, had to do a double take. The foot pegs are where?!? I was even okay with the clip ons. Fine, that was different, but I couldn't believe how different the foot position was. It was fine when you started moving, but I had never been on a bike with this kind of a rider triangle.

So I'm kind of conflicted. The R3 is just uncomfortable and not fun to me, the FZ is perfect in all ways, and this bike seems like something entirely different. If I was picking a super sport, this one is great but I think I'm back to a parking lot to do some basic stops/starts emergency braking, etc, since it's so different. I can see just tracking the Ninja.

How the heck does someone even think of starting on one of these? It's insane. There are so many easier ways. I went Suzuki s40, Harley, then the FZ-09. That was fine.

I can't even imagine going from an R3 as a first bike to one of these 600 cc bikes, it's so different.

After having the FZ-09 for three years, the more I ride it, the more I like it. I'm so happy I didn't go the 300 to 600 route.

What were your first experiences with a 600? Did you do the 300 to 600? Did you have a different background?
    Last edited by Jen; 12-27-2016 at 03:11 PM.
    2014 FZ-09 Graphite
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2016 Indian Scout
    2016 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)
    2006 Harley XL1200L (sold)
    + lots of cars ('86 Grand National, '78 Trans Am, '86 Vette, '10 R/T Challenger, '16 Corvette Z51 3LT, '16 WRX...etc...it's a sickness)

Member #
    i don't understand. maybe i am just a stupid swede but are you compering the kawi and the r3 or the kawi and the fz ? did u go harley-fz09-ninja300-r3-zx6r?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
    AK-VA likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Well, that was interesting. This bike is unlike anything I have ever owned. The first time I rode the FZ-09, I was coming from a Harley. There was no learning curve. The R3 was definitely different. I remember riding that for the first time, home when I got it. I had been on a Ninja 300 previous to that. The ride home on the R3 was fascinating to say the least. It took some adjustment, a few miles and it was fine.

I took the ZX6R out for the first time just now.

ZX6R-
    Pluses:
    1) its bigger than the R3, my legs are bent on the R3 and it's so small I feel like I'm on a toy
    2) better brakes
    3) better suspension
    4) looks like a much higher quality bike, because it is
    5) power

Negatives-
    1) holy learning curve, not for the power as much as the seating position!

I was standing waiting for the bike to warm up, feet were almost flat and I felt like the bike was solid, so that was nice. Kicked it into first. Went to take off, had to do a double take. The foot pegs are where?!? I was even okay with the clip ons. Fine, that was different, but I couldn't believe how different the foot position was. It was fine when you started moving, but I had never been on a bike with this kind of a rider triangle.

So I'm kind of conflicted. The R3 is just uncomfortable and not fun to me, the FZ is perfect in all ways, and this bike seems like something entirely different. If I was picking a super sport, this one is great but I think I'm back to a parking lot to do some basic stops/starts emergency braking, etc, since it's so different.

How the heck does someone even think of starting on one of these? It's insane. There are so many easier ways. I went Suzuki s40, Harley, then the FZ-09. That was fine.

I can't even imagine going from an R3 as a first bike to one of these 600 cc bikes, it's so different. Thank you Yamaha for making such an amazing bike as the FZ-09.
    If you ride like this then the peg locations make more sense...?

2016 ZX6R vs FZ-09-turn.jpg
    Wisdom tain't free, We pay for it with Pain

long ago: Cushman Eagle, Yamahas: Scrambler, RT-1, TT-R; Husky's: 450, 360WR, 430WR;
    Current era: WR250R, HD FLHPI, FZ09 ( RG Sliders, Vario Screen +,
    Yamaha bags/rack, Task Grip Heaters, Ram GPS mount, 1st Gear Heatroller
    Acerbis hand guards/Silicon Grips, ZX6RR shock, Mag drain plug, Racetech Springs and damping kit
    Factory 2015 ECU Flash, New SC Seat with non-grip surface, Michelin RP4's

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    The ZX6R is meant to do 2 things...go fast and turn, and it does those well. Its not meant as a commuter bike, its not meant as an all day ride bike.
    if you want either of those last 2 things you're looking at the wrong bike.
    2014 FZ09 Mods> Ivans ECU Flash....... Penske 8983....... GP fork piston kit.......Woodcraft Frame Sliders....Woodcraft Axle Sliders ...Woodcraft Engine guards...Chinese spools...
    Spiegler SS brake lines .....APE CC tensioner .....Antigravity AG-801 Battery......tripage LED headlight.......tripage LED pegs ...Watsen Design front turn signals..and some other stuff I dont feel like listing

Jen
    Member #
    Absolutely. I get it. I don't know how much I like it! I am so conflicted about it.

Makes total sense for the track. I don't know how much better it will be on the road than the FZ though, for non-track riding, for local more technical roads. You aren't riding at those speeds and aren't dragging knees on public roads (hopefully!)

Jen
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosshairs View Post
    The ZX6R is meant to do 2 things...go fast and turn, and it does those well. Its not meant as a commuter bike, its not meant as an all day ride bike.
    if you want either of those last 2 things you're looking at the wrong bike.
    The FZ is my main bike. It's great. I've had an R3 for two years and don't love it so I figured go the super sport route, because if I don't like that, then that's it. The ZX6R is definitely better than the R3, but I don't know if it's worth it based on the crazy riding position or maybe you just get used to it. It wasn't love at first ride.

I'm wondering what experiences the rest of you have had in the chain of bikes.
    2014 FZ-09 Graphite
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2016 Indian Scout
    + lots of cars ('86 Grand National, '78 Trans Am, '86 Vette, '10 R/T Challenger, '16 Corvette Z51 3LT, '16 WRX...etc...it's a sickness)

Member #
    pour moi it was a string of about 20 dirt bikes starting in the 60's; then a few touring bikes for two-up riding; finally it's a FZ which feels like a dirt bike that stays on the streets. Next, I believe I might get a new Husky 501 and go back off-road.
    Wisdom tain't free, We pay for it with Pain

long ago: Cushman Eagle, Yamahas: Scrambler, RT-1, TT-R; Husky's: 450, 360WR, 430WR;
    Current era: WR250R, HD FLHPI, FZ09 ( RG Sliders, Vario Screen +,
    Yamaha bags/rack, Task Grip Heaters, Ram GPS mount, 1st Gear Heatroller
    Acerbis hand guards/Silicon Grips, ZX6RR shock, Mag drain plug, Racetech Springs and damping kit
    Factory 2015 ECU Flash, New SC Seat with non-grip surface, Michelin RP4's

Member #
    I'm wondering what experiences the rest of you have had in the chain of bikes.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth: as I read your post, I'm wondering how old/tall you are , what your riding experience and physical condition are. In my opinion, all these matter, to varying degrees. I think there is a good reason the Yamaha triple iterations (FZ/FJ/XSR) are selling well - they've hit on a dynamite motor and chassis that can be tweaked to do a bunch of things fairly well, maybe even great, especially for the price. If you think you'll do track days, keep the ZX. Personally, for everyday riding, I think the FZ is - overall - the best, most fun bike I've ever ridden, and that's before tweaking it. Right now there's nothing I'd replace it with. But then there's no accounting for personal taste.
    Last edited by meinschaft; 12-27-2016 at 03:47 PM.
    1965 Triumph Bonneville, 1968 Honda Cl350, 1972 Yamaha XS650, 1982 Yamaha XS650, 1999 Triumph Legend, 2004 Kawasaki Z750S, 2008 Yamaha FZ1, 2008.5 Yamaha FZ1, 2015 Yamaha FZ-09

Jen
    Member #
    I'm in my 30's, in great physical shape, work out 1.5-2 hrs a day, 5'5"/115 lbs with a 30" inseam so I'm almost flat footing the ZX6R. My husband said it looks like my race boots are flat on the ground, I feel like they almost are.

How does the above apply? Supposedly you need core strength for the super sports. My back and wrists didn't hurt, I just don't know if I live the riding position. It wasn't necessarily uncomfortable, just awkward or strange compared to what I'm used to. The seat was fine.
    2014 FZ-09 Graphite
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2016 Indian Scout

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Absolutely. I get it. I don't know how much I like it! I am so conflicted about it.

Makes total sense for the track. I don't know how much better it will be on the road than the FZ though, for non-track riding, for local more technical roads. You aren't riding at those speeds and aren't dragging knees on public roads (hopefully!)
    The FZ09 is without any question more comfortable, more capable, safer, and faster on the road due to its design.

Supersports are street legal track bikes. Comparing one to an FZ09 is like comparing an F1 car to a streel car on the street. The F1 car is basically undriveable on the street.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links