2016 ZX6R vs FZ-09 - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

2016 ZX6R vs FZ-09

This is a discussion on 2016 ZX6R vs FZ-09 within the Other Bikes forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; FWIW I started riding on an 2005 ZZR600 (same as 2002 ZX6R) I know way different bike compared to the new 6r's but it was ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 2016 ZX6R vs FZ-09

Member #
    FWIW I started riding on an 2005 ZZR600 (same as 2002 ZX6R) I know way different bike compared to the new 6r's but it was a steep learning curve. I enjoyed my time on that bike but I will never go back to one as a commuter bike for the street. At sane speeds it was boring and not nearly as comfortable as any other bike that I have owned since.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I'm in my 30's, in great physical shape, work out 1.5-2 hrs a day, 5'5"/115 lbs with a 30" inseam so I'm almost flat footing the ZX6R. My husband said it looks like my race boots are flat on the ground, I feel like they almost are.

How does the above apply? Supposedly you need core strength for the super sports. My back and wrists didn't hurt, I just don't know if I live the riding position. It wasn't necessarily uncomfortable, just awkward or strange compared to what I'm used to. The seat was fine.
    Then it's like I said. Keep the ZX for track days or when you need a reminder of what a great package the FZ-09 is. First World problem.......
    AK-VA likes this.
    1965 Triumph Bonneville, 1968 Honda Cl350, 1972 Yamaha XS650, 1982 Yamaha XS650, 1999 Triumph Legend, 2004 Kawasaki Z750S, 2008 Yamaha FZ1, 2008.5 Yamaha FZ1, 2015 Yamaha FZ-09

Jen
    Member #
    I can see that now. I feel like you need to relearn how to ride (not the basic stuff, but your technique has to change, I got that to a point with the R3 but nothing like this).
    2014 FZ-09 Graphite
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2016 Indian Scout
    2016 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)
    2006 Harley XL1200L (sold)
    + lots of cars ('86 Grand National, '78 Trans Am, '86 Vette, '10 R/T Challenger, '16 Corvette Z51 3LT, '16 WRX...etc...it's a sickness)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    This is what we were alluding to in your original thread. Owning a sport bike and not taking it to the track every once in a while is like having a supermodel as a platonic friend. She's great to look at, but you have to put up with all her BS and you don't get the benefits you deserve...

If you just want a bike that's a little more aggressive in the twisties, you could just put a little bit of money into your FZ and upgrade the suspension and tires, and maybe install some rearsets and lower bars. Sportbikes are awesome on the track, and they can be fun in the canyons, but they are ticket magnets, and the rest of the time they're torture racks.

When I started riding, we didn't have "sport bikes". You just bought a regular bike, and depending on whether you wanted a race bike, a touring bike, or a commuter, you changed the bars, pegs, suspension, seat, etc. to suit your needs. By the time the GSXR750 (the first real "race bike with lights") appeared, we "sport riders" were used to having rearsets and clip-ons on our street bikes (though the weight and handling of the GSXR was light years ahead of what had been out before).

If you had started riding on a sport bike, it would feel more "normal" to you, and sitting on a Harley for the first time you would wonder what they were thinking. You'll certainly get used to the ZX in time, but again, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't go to the track with it!
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    "Murvil" TN.......18 miles from Deals Gap
    I've ridden for 45 years now, and I started on dirt bikes years ago.......years and years ago! My first taste of sport bikes was in 1992 when I bought a CBR 1000 Hurricane, then came the CBR1100XX Blackbird. After that it was a 2004 CBR1000RR which I totaled on the street, so I bought a 2005 CBR1000RR. I put 25K miles on that one and then switched to a CBR600RR. I bought the 2004 1000RR back from the insurance and started my track day riding. After having the 600RR street bike, I sold the 1000RR track bike and bought another 600RR for the track. I rode that one 12,000 track miles over a 5 year period and sold it in Oct 2015 and bought a GSX-R750 for the track. In between all of that activity, I got a Aprilia 750 DorsoDura, which is similar to the FZ09 and rode it a little over a year before the FZ09's came out in the fall of 2013. By the time I got the Dorso and then the FZ09, I was in my late 50's and just simply couldn't take the 350 - 400 mile days on a sport bike anymore......thus the Dorso then the FZ09. I still love the sportbike riding position and really enjoy the GSX-R750 on the track, but then again, the sessions are only 20 minutes at a time.

The first time I rode the Dorso after having sportbikes for that many years I was like..........Holy Cow, this is very different (riding style) and it took a couple of weeks to get pretty comfortable on it. The same will be true going the other direction for you. You are accustomed to the FZ09 riding position and a sport bike feels totally weird. I face the same issues.....my street bike is the FZ09 and then I end up doing approx. 20 track days a year as an Instructor and the Gixxer feels a little weird for the first few laps, then it's all good. If you ride both of them enough, it's mostly muscle memory and experience taking over.
    Spottedfrog likes this.
    "If it ain't fast...........It ain't fun"!

Vern........ Sportbike Track Time Southern Region Lead Intermediate Instructor

Member #
    Nothing new here except to once again question where exactly you see the ZX6R fitting into your riding? I saw an earlier post saying you were getting it wholesale which is great, but unless you do 15-20 track days a year at the upper end of the Advanced group, the FZ is hands down a sounder choice of streetbike and track day hooligan once suspension is sorted. I instruct like TripleThreat on my FZ on occasion and it's more than capable.

I raced ZX6R's (3 different models over the years) and love them, however they are shite as a street bike (but leaps better than an R6) in terms of comfort, power delivery, and luggage capabilities.

If money is no object - buy whatever floats your boat - and yes, after 3-4 rides you'll get accustomed to the ergonomic triangle, but I just don't see based on what you've posted WHY you're so keen on getting it if you don't plan to race or become a TD junkie at the least.

Keep us posted!
    "I'm so mean I make medicine sick!" C.C.

Jen
    Member #
    45 years! Nice! That's some bike line up.

It does depend on what you are used to. I remember riding my husband's shadow a few years ago, and now I can't imagine riding it. I can sit on it and it seems like there is nowhere for your legs to go that feels right. Same with the Harleys, there is one Harley that feels okay to me, some version of a Fat Bob.

My husband won't go near my bikes. They are too foreign to him and he's anti sport bike. He thinks if your legs aren't forward, then it's not right. I guess you get used to your bike.
    2014 FZ-09 Graphite
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2016 Indian Scout
    + lots of cars ('86 Grand National, '78 Trans Am, '86 Vette, '10 R/T Challenger, '16 Corvette Z51 3LT, '16 WRX...etc...it's a sickness)

Jen
    Member #
    Why?

It's one of those things that's on my want to do while on earth lists. I want to at least have the experience of riding a sport bike, a real one, even if I hate it, or sell it. I'm trying to decide if I'm even going to keep it. I went in knowing that there would be a good chance I could sell it.

If I ride it for a season, I can see if I like it and not take too much of a hit. That's why I got the R3, to see what riding a sport bike is like, but it's not exactly a sport bike! It's like a tricycle after riding the FZ. And this ZX6R is just the polar opposite shooting too far ahead.
    2014 FZ-09 Graphite
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2016 Indian Scout

Member #
    Why?

It's one of those things that's on my want to do while on earth lists. I want to at least have the experience of riding a sport bike, a real one, even if I hate it, or sell it.
    If it's just a bucket list thing and you aren't going to take it to the track, fly to Germany or Austria and rent one to bomb around the Alps on for a week. Other bikes are more common in the European rental fleets (standards, adventure touring, etc) but sport bikes are available.

Member #
    Why?

It's one of those things that's on my want to do while on earth lists. I want to at least have the experience of riding a sport bike, a real one, even if I hate it, or sell it. I'm trying to decide if I'm even going to keep it. I went in knowing that there would be a good chance I could sell it.

If I ride it for a season, I can see if I like it and not take too much of a hit. That's why I got the R3, to see what riding a sport bike is like, but it's not exactly a sport bike! It's like a tricycle after riding the FZ. And this ZX6R is just the polar opposite shooting too far ahead.
    I'm a huge bike whore so trust me I get the "But I wanna see what this feels like" compared to whatever it is I'm currently riding. I'm in my early 40's and in the past 3 years alone I've have had somewhere around 10-12 bikes - 5 race bikes (3 ZX6R's, a GSXR750, and a GSXR1000) a KTM 425 to race Supermoto with, and I was one of the earliest members on this site when it started and I bought an FZ09 3+ years ago. I JUST bought another one as almost all the bikes I've had recently can come and go but the FZ was the ONLY one I regret selling. I'm an info junkie so I want to try them all and see what works, if the reviews are accurate, why the bike is so popular (or not - a Vstrom 1000 was one of the best street bikes I've ever owned and I can't see why all the hate for them), yada, yada...

Broadening your motorcycle experience level on different style machines can only make you more well rounded as a rider and safer possibly as like track riding - you learn things from riding a different bike that translates to any bike/situation.
    "I'm so mean I make medicine sick!" C.C.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links