Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Fz1?

11K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  LouG 
#1 ·
sold my fz-09.getting the itch for something fast and semi comfortable..Before I pull the trigger on another fz09,will a re-flashed ecu,exhaust FZ1 have some good low end or is it lacking down low as i found the R1 to be? wasnt sure if the fz1 mods only gave it more up top

#2 ·
you sold a bike that was fast and comfy... and no, an FZ1 will not feel nearly as quick down low like an FZ-09 does.

#3 ·
I have both. My modded FZ1 is faster than my 09 but with stock gearing the low-end is not great. It's a great open road bike for high speed sport touring but it doesn't have the instant pull of the FZ09.

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy
#4 ·
I had an FZ1 before my -09, I had a full exhaust/flash and put a 16t front sprocket on it - that transformed it on the low end. Drastic difference between the stock 17t sprocket. Felt much quicker off the line.

#5 ·
I've had an FZ1 fully tuned up, and pushing 160-170 bhp. One of the most stable handling bikes I've ever ridden, and insanely rapid once wound up!!! The only reason I sold it was that huge flat spot below 4K which was disheartening, and the goddam awful fuel mileage!!!
Wasn't comfy either! It was a basket case bike that somehow worked on the right roads such as fast sweepers, but it was neither sports bike, nor tourer.
The MT is way quicker on real roads, and miles more fun!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I had an 08 FZ1. and it was a decent bike, with plenty of power and a top end that was more than I needed or even wanted. It felt much heavier than the FZ09 and I personally don't think it handled nearly as well, especially when doing really tight roads. Bought it new, traded it for a 2010 Triumph Speedmaster, re-traded back to my FZ1 less than a year later then rode it for a year and a half and sold it. Mainly because of poor gas mileage when gas was over $4/gal. I toyed with the idea of getting a new FZ10 then remembered why I got rid of the FZ1. I still think the FZ09 is the best combination of power, handling, comfort, and economy. Just going to keep it till I see something better and the FZ10 isn't.

#8 ·
The FZ-10 replaces the FZ1 with a crossplane 4, shorter wheelbase and is naked. The FZ-09 has more low end torque, but that's it. I know it's also 45 lbs lighter, but I can't feel the difference. I can certainly feel the wheelbase difference. Cornering is noticably easier than the -09. A decent tune on the -10 would never leave you feeling like it lacked power anywhere. I loved my -09, but the -10 is definitely a step up and well worth every penny of the price difference, assuming one can afford that difference. The comfort level of the FZ-09 and FZ-10 is pretty much the same. I haven't ridden an FZ1, but I would expect it to provide an edge in comfort.

#10 ·
low end power is one of my main needs/wants...i wish the fz09 was just a lil more stable..maybe i needed to stiffen up the forks more than i had....I plan on doing a few track days (NY safety track)however I am not an aggressive rider so possibly the suspension wont be an issue if stiffened almost fully.I see people riding the tail of the dragon way harder than i ride lol

#13 ·
I think other than the obvious hard seat, the comfort issues on the FZ09 are due to the seating position. I am average sized at a little less than 6 feet tall and 180lbs. I find it ok but the pegs are still in an awkward location. Raising the bars slightly with the GPR stabilizer bar mounts helped up top but there's not much I can see doing with the pegs. Rearsets would be nice but I don't know how that would feel, could be worse, could be better. Taller people will likely find it worse. I have Sato rearsets on my FZ1 and my legs feel slightly cramped. No issues with cornering clearance now though !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.