ZX10 rear shock - Page 42
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

ZX10 rear shock

This is a discussion on ZX10 rear shock within the Yamaha FZ-09 Guides and How-To's forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; Originally Posted by Travis 2007 2008 ZX6R shocks on ebay for $70 shipped. They have fast/slow compression settings too. I have one installed on my ...

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: ZX10 rear shock

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    2007 2008 ZX6R shocks on ebay for $70 shipped. They have fast/slow compression settings too. I have one installed on my bike and it's fine. Tight fit though.
    From what I hear the ZX6 shock reservoir fits better on our bikes (if mounted res down) due to the diameter being smaller on the end. It doesn't hit an allen cap screw down there where the zx10 shock does. Just something to consider.
    Whole thread here:
    07-08 zx6r rear shock on my fz. Yes 07-08.
    Yea when I saw people started noting that their zx10r shock mounted down rubbed that bolt it gave me a sick feeling. Ran out and bought a Penske after that.

Member #
    Hello MT 09 bikers !!!
    I have read all 42 pages and I have some questions-conclusions and try to compare the two kawasaki shocks.

Regarding zx6 shock:
    The zx6r is the same as zx6rr rear shock with same length 330mm, same spring, same overhaul shape.
    The main difference is that the rr has extra high and low compression instead of simple compression on the r.
    Due to the same as MT 09 overall length (330mm) there is no contact to the arm.
    The recommended year is the 2007-2008 shock yellow body with red spring.
    Both r and rr can be fitted on mt 09 without any serious bike modifications if facing down.

Regarding the zx10r shock:
    The recommended year is 2008-2010 gold body with silver spring.
    Includes high and low compression and is longer from the zx6 about 8mm (330mm-338mm)
    Due to increased length needs special treatment in order to decrease contact with the arm.
    In comparison with zx6r shock his spring is a bit softer (I don't remember the exact values...pls help)

Questions due to zx6rr is very rare to find ans simple zx6r has not high/low comp:
    - Zx10r shock has larger bottle from the zx6r/rr and thus reduced clearance from the engine block ??
    - If the zx10 shock length is reduced to 330mm the contact with the arm will disappear ???
    It's possible of the shock is rebuild by adding a spacer inside the shock body

I plan to place the shock with reservoir facing down.
    - How can i adjust the preload once the shock is installed on the bike??? Any trick for gain space????
    - The rest adjustments high/low compression are reachable ????
    Any photos from the above???

Thank you in advance !!!
    Any more info or mistake corrections are welcome.

Member #
    if the shock has been properly re-valved, the lack of hi vs lo comp isn't an issue for street riding unless you're really, really picky.
    Racetech and Traxxion have replacement preload collars for a variety of thread dia and pitch. I don't know for certain if they have an application for the ZX shocks in question but it's worth a call. The Traxxion collars (if they have them) use a slightly bent bar into a hole which makes it easier than the traditional methods but it's still no cake walk. I would be prepared to take the tank off to get at the rings for the initial sag adjustments.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by pattonme View Post
    if the shock has been properly re-valved, the lack of hi vs lo comp isn't an issue for street riding unless you're really, really picky.
    Racetech and Traxxion have replacement preload collars for a variety of thread dia and pitch. I don't know for certain if they have an application for the ZX shocks in question but it's worth a call. The Traxxion collars (if they have them) use a slightly bent bar into a hole which makes it easier than the traditional methods but it's still no cake walk. I would be prepared to take the tank off to get at the rings for the initial sag adjustments.
    Thank you for your answer.
    You gave me a super idea with the replacement collars!!!
    What if we insert an aluminum sleeve with tread (same as the plastic one we have to remove) an install there new preload collars.
    The original collars on the top will remain and the two lower will adjust the preload !!!!

Member #
    I m ready to follow on with zx10r swap!!!
    The 9,1 zx10 spring is too soft for my weight an I plan to install mt09 stock spring
    according to racetech mt 09 is 10,0nm not 9,7nm as I can find in previous posts.
    RT - Digital Product Search
    What is true ??

Also the contact problem with the arm is solved somehow????
    How many of you have the same problem???

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Sponsored Links