Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? within the FZ-09 News forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 News category; Dear MO by, I just saw your answer regards oil change . My manual says that I need to change oil every 3000 miles. But ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year?

Member #

Dear MOby,

I just saw your answer regards oil change. My manual says that I need to change oil every 3000 miles. But I only ride about 1000 miles per year (very short commute). By the book, I need to perform oil change every three years. Do I really need to change oil every year? Is it okay to change oil every three years, just because I don’t ride that much?

Thank you
    Jay

PS: Just to make myself comfortable, I do oil change once a year.
    Read more about Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? at Motorcycle.com.

Member #
    if your environment is clean, and you don't have the bike sitting in an environmetn with high condensation, no.
    stick a turkey baster down the filler and grab a sample. If it's clean and not cloudy, then keep using it.

Oh, the better answer is to ride a LOT more, like 200-300 mile day rides.
    WERA689 likes this.

Member #
    Recently I changed the oil in my 5,000 watt 6 hp generator. I've used the generator several times over the last five years, and every summer before hurricane season I ensure that it will start/run. After 5 years and perhaps as much as 25+ hours of use, the oil looked brand new when it came out. I also pulled the valve cover for the first time and everything look perfectly clean.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I don't have a problem with my bikes, but since I normally only use a cage for hauling groceries and other items to big to easily carry on the bike, I have waited several years before changing the cage's oil. I only recently did it, previous change was 2010.
    Travis likes this.
    INVENTOR of DIRT

Member #
    If you only ride short commutes to work totaling 1000 miles in 365 days your bike probably never gets up to operating temperature, which is needed to evaporate condensation in the oil and to provide optimal lubrication for the engine internals.

That moisture along with other contaminants of combustion decrease the protective efficiency of the oil which then deteriorates more as time passes. Hence the reason some new cars calculate oil change intervals using complex algorithms using the cars' computer...

Oil is cheaper than parts...

Also, Yamaha has a program to warranty your engine for 20 years or 100,000 miles if you change your oil and Yamaha filter according to their schedule.
    Last edited by xsr900x; 03-01-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Member #
    OIl change intervals are way exaggerated now , especially with new oil tech. The average driver needs to be racing a motor to warrant a 3 month oil change. Most synths and semi synths easily can go 6-7k between changes. Drives me crazy when people change every three months, I think its funny. Or how about when anal motor cycle owners change every 1-2k. IMO opinion average riding ,even with some fun thrown in doesn't need to be changed that often.
    meinschaft likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dvirgil13 View Post
    OIl change intervals are way exaggerated now , especially with new oil tech. The average driver needs to be racing a motor to warrant a 3 month oil change. Most synths and semi synths easily can go 6-7k between changes. Drives me crazy when people change every three months, I think its funny. Or how about when anal motor cycle owners change every 1-2k. IMO opinion average riding ,even with some fun thrown in doesn't need to be changed that often.
    +1000000000000
    ( i had to add extra zeros because the forum won't let me post just '+1' lol )

Member #
    With low mileage like that, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to dump the oil once a year, and a new filter every two years, or find a new hobby, lol.
    shamrock and RickyNY like this.
    Ride to work, work to ride.

Member #
    When the shifting starts to get a little notchy, I know it's due. That's usually once a year anyway.
    Travis likes this.

Member #
    Why not just split the difference and follow the owners manual recommendation - Every 4000.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links