Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

FZ09 Track Times

This is a discussion on FZ09 Track Times within the FZ-09 Racing / Track Days forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; Has anyone gotten a chance to run this guy on a track? It is okay if you just so happen to be a Yamaha test ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: FZ09 Track Times

Member #

FZ09 Track Times

Has anyone gotten a chance to run this guy on a track? It is okay if you just so happen to be a Yamaha test rider and have some track time stories to regale us with...

Member #
    "Murvil" TN.......18 miles from Deals Gap
    I would like to take the FZ on the track when I get it, but unfortunately, my insurance prohibits any kind of track riding, racing, etc.......plus, I have a dedicated track bike...a 600RR. One of the things that I will most like do though, is pull the Bridgestone tires off of the bike when it arrives and mount up some new Michelin Power III's.
    "If it ain't fast...........It ain't fun"!

Vern........ Sportbike Track Time Southern Region Instructor

Member #
    How on EARTH will your insurance company know that you lapped your FZ just one time for the benefit of the masses!?!?!? I think it is a worthwhile risk. For us.

Member #
    Well, you see, I've got this job that requires that I have a "Q" clearance and if, just if I was to let's say not exactly tell the truth (not that I would do that), I could very quickly find myself unemployed. So, probably no track time for that bike. Having said that though, I live 18 miles from Deals Gap and may get a chance or two to.......shall we say.....check the suspension, the available power, tire stickiness, turn in, and maybe even the amount of lean angle before making sparkles with the metallic parts!
    DNFDOUG and Willowbilly like this.

Member #
    I like where you are going with this..... "ride out to the gap." I see no fault or liability in this, "not for time," "nothing more than a spirited Sunday ride" check of the streetablility, reliability, and most importantly safety of your new motorcycle.

Member #
    Mine will be headed to NHMS as soon as I get it. The main purpose of this bike for me is to track it. I will let you know as soon as I get some laps on it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Mine will be headed to NHMS as soon as I get it. The main purpose of this bike for me is to track it. I will let you know as soon as I get some laps on it.
    Good for you. I'm sure that there will be a lot of us on here waiting anxiously to hear the results of bike's performance on the track. I would say that if you are a mid to fast pack Intermediate or quicker, the first limitation that you are going to find (other than tires) is going to be the suspension. I'm not saying that it is going to be bad, but I guess I'm spoiled by having Ohlins components on both of my track bikes..........one present and one from the past. Once you get the suspension dialed in and setup properly, it's like riding a completely different bike.

Member #
    I will be getting a Penske shock on this ASAP then Cartridges for the forks.

I'm a Expert level racer and track day instructor. I really think this bike has a huge potential for track use.

Member #
    And I thought Yamaha had already said that they were going to be making pukka sportbikes based on this engine....didn't they? I'd imagine tuning differences, mild chassis differences, moderately better suspension (though, yeah, Ohlins rules ), and (obviously) better aerodynamics. I love the FZ, I do. But it's not a track bike, really. Am I off base here?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    I will be getting a Penske shock on this ASAP then Cartridges for the forks.

I'm a Expert level racer and track day instructor. I really think this bike has a huge potential for track use.

Just curious, who do you instruct for?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links