Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Graves Motorsports Yamaha FZ-09 and MT-09

53K views 104 replies 33 participants last post by  Fz09-117 
#1 ·
***Please read completely before calling the folks at Graves Motorsports.***

I'm excited to to tell you that I just dropped off my 1-week old Yamaha FZ-09 at Graves Motorsports. They are using it for testing with their new products, these products are not yet available for purchase so please don't call them looking for the products. Instead follow them on Facebook or check their website regularly for updates. I will also be posting updates on this thread as they become available to me, so be sure to subscribe. I hope to have some news in the coming weeks.

I don't have too many details about what they are going to do as of yet, but I do know they do plan on doing a full exhaust and tail tiddy / fender eliminator. In the process they are going to be doing some dyno testing before and after. They also plan on having a collection of other accessories for it, similar to their current offerings.

:D:D:D

Street Bike Parts`Sportbike Exhausts`Yamaha R1`R6 Parts`Suzuki GSXR Parts`Honda CBR Parts`Motorcycle Race Parts`Yamaha Racing` Dynojet Power Commander`

#4 ·
Ahh, now it makes sense.........you're a lucky fella. Most likely, I will be going with a Graves exhaust for mine instead of some of the other offerings. Keep us updated for sure. Did I mention that you are a lucky guy!

#5 ·
Just got an update on day-1.. my FZ-09 is half way disassembled... It was kinda of scary finding out at first, but I had to remind myself these guys know what they are doing.

#7 ·
They do? Isn't the point of borrowing your 09 is to learn? ;)
True, I'm banking on their years of experience dismantling new bikes. I'm willing to bet they do this kinda of stuff more than your average motorcycle mechanic.

Stop trying to scare me v2Bob!! :p

Reactions: eolith
#12 ·
#23 ·
I am in agreement that the final version of the muffler can needs to be "tucked" a lot more under the bike. That one sticks out way too far, but I understand that this is still in the design stage and hopefully will be modified for a cleaner look when the production model comes out. Also, a choice between a C.F. can and a Titanium can would be nice. Personally, I would prefer the Titanium can.

Reactions: deadduck357
#27 ·
Doug, have you been following the thermostat thread? What do you think? Maybe answer there lol. Just kind of blows my mind that Yamaha might screw up such an essential item, a mature technology, cheap to get right etc.

I'm still getting an 09, if it is a problem someone will find a fix.
I have. Japanese are notorious for saving money by reducing the overall number of parts. I am not too worried, just going to keep an eye on the aftermarket. Same with the hydraulic cam chain tensioner.

#29 · (Edited)
@tunnelvision - Is the key hole covered and the wiring hidden on the tail tiddy?

#32 ·
Purrrdy. That header is just gorgeous. I'm a little concerned about how far the muffler sticks out the side though. Looks like it's be easy to melt your boot on by accident. Also, any idea on pricing yet?

#33 ·
You have the heel guard to protect your boot, but also, the Carbon does not heat up like metal so you should be okay.

No idea on pricing yet, but we should know more in the next few weeks.

#34 ·
Cool (heh, literally). Are there going to be other options on what the can is made of in the future?

#37 ·
There maybe a titanium option, but you would have to do a special request with Graves.

Titanium is most beneficial when you have a side or under-tail exhaust. The OEM exhaust is heavy for the FZ-09, but the bike offsets this by centralizing the majority of its weight.

If you were to take (2) identical exhausts designs like the one here, but instead have one carbon and one titanium, the difference in weight between the two on the bike will be unnoticeable unless of course you find yourself constantly cornering at the bikes limit.

In the case of a high-mount exhaust like that of an R1 or R6, the small difference in weight savings between a carbon and titanium exhausts is more noticeable because the exhaust system is larger in size but also mounted further away from the bikes center of gravity.

IMO the titanium can on the FZ-09 is nice but adds very little to the performance of the bike.

#35 ·
Thanks for the updates with the new pics. Now, that all important missing pic......a shot from directly behind the bike to see how far the can actually sticks out.......can they do one of those?......Please???

Reactions: nickv09
#38 ·
Sorry, I should have paid more attention to that. They did push the exhaust a bit further in while maintaining the overall size of the can.

Here is a pic of the old vs new

New

If you use the heel guard for reference, you can see a slight difference.

Also notice the way the pipe curves right before it attaches to the can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.