Another Rear Shock Question
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Another Rear Shock Question within the FZ-09 Performance & Suspension forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; I know this has been asked a thousand times now, but I've spent a week reading and need a definitive answer. Will the 2007-8 ZX6R ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Another Rear Shock Question

Member #

I know this has been asked a thousand times now, but I've spent a week reading and need a definitive answer. Will the 2007-8 ZX6R rear shock work with minimal modification? Here is the link to the shock I'm interested in and will pull the trigger if I know it will work. Thanks!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by danieldwn97 View Post
    I know this has been asked a thousand times now, but I've spent a week reading and need a definitive answer. Will the 2007-8 ZX6R rear shock work with minimal modification? Here is the link to the shock I'm interested in and will pull the trigger if I know it will work. Thanks!
    $300 for that shock is way too much IMO. Most do this swap as it should be relatively cheap - you should be under $100 for the shock and parts. At $300, I would consider aftermarket if I were you. You may even find a used penske or ohlins for not much more than $300.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
    shamrock and Dpak like this.
    2015 Yamaha FZ-09 matte gray
    2005 Suzuki SV650s (sold)

Member #
    So basically I'm an extremely new rider and I don't know the difference between good and bad suspension. This is my second bike, the first one being a Yamaha XT250. And I only got this bike because it was such an amazing deal. All I know is that everyone here says stock is shit and the upgrade makes a HUGE difference, and I want to "fix" the stock suspension. I would rather get new shocks that are specifically designed for my bike because I don't wan to make modifications. So what would you recommend? I don't think I need the highest performance stuff and would like to keep it under $1000 for the front and back together.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    So basically I'm an extremely new rider and I don't know the difference between good and bad suspension. This is my second bike, the first one being a Yamaha XT250. And I only got this bike because it was such an amazing deal. All I know is that everyone here says stock is shit and the upgrade makes a HUGE difference, and I want to "fix" the stock suspension. I would rather get new shocks that are specifically designed for my bike because I don't wan to make modifications. So what would you recommend? I don't think I need the highest performance stuff and would like to keep it under $1000 for the front and back together.
    You're in the right place. Lots of knowledge floating around this forum. I'm not a suspension guru by any means but I would say that you shouldnt change it just because others say its shit. How does it feel to you?

Lots of factors can go into it. I go north of 220lbs... Yea I felt the need to change. Others under 170lbs, maybe not so much. I wouldn't just go drop a fat stack because someone on the internet says so qithout doing more research.

I would defer to the experts... Maybe chat with pattonme, norwest, or stoltec.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
    2015 Yamaha FZ-09 matte gray
    2005 Suzuki SV650s (sold)

Member #
    Wot he said. Talk to the experts, they can give you accurate costings at the same time. FWIW. I went for Andreani cartridges and Nitron shock. Yes, the difference was great.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler
    El Cheapo Chinese levers.

Member #
    Depending on your weight, i would start with springs and oil up front, you can always do more later.

In the rear, id go for a nitron r1 setup for your weight. But buy from sombody that can get you a discount and supports the forum. I'm a fan of the nitron shocks generally, but morso the r1 for the semi-horizontal shock on these bikes as they are a non emusion shock, at a similar price/quality to the penske/ohlins single adjustable.

That should get you somthing decent for well under 1k.

But i still would defer to pattonme, norwest and stoltec for more specifics.

Member #
    Yes it will fit and that is way too expensive for a used shock in unknown condition. I paid $60 for mine and others have paid even less.

Do note that this year model of shock is a full 10mm longer than stock and is the longest length you can fit in the bike so it will raise the rear end approx 25mm once you factor in the leverage ratio of the suspension. Getting the second bolt in is MUCH easier with 2 people as you'll have the linkage at full extension and even then the holes only just line up. I personally love the extra seat height and ground clearance, and the steeper head angle / faster turn in you get as a result but if you're a shorter rider who can only just get your feet down already you may want to look for other models

Member #
    I'm going to assume you're read the more than dozen threads on this board that answer similar questions and have reviews for this product vs that?

$1000 for both ends actually gives you a variety of options. The front can be addressed by my Intermediate kit or Stoltec's GP piston kit. For the shock you can get a Ohlins 335 for $600 (aside, I have 2 units that need to go at a special lower price), Maxxis KD is $500, K-Tech RAZR is $700, and Nick has a Penske 8900E that fits the bill. You can get a good price on Wilbers and Hyperpro as well (PM me) in the sub-500 to 650 range.

The sleeper mod is Norwest's rebuild of the OE (or ZX6) shock for $250'ish. So if you pair that with Stoltec's GP kit you're looking at an outlay of ~$500 and it'll make a noticeable improvement.
    Last edited by pattonme; 12-20-2016 at 07:51 AM.
    LouG likes this.

Member #
    Thanks for all the inforemation! I'm around 180 With gear and for all I know, the stock suspension is great. But I would like to see what good suspension feels like, and I hear that it boosts your confidence when cornering. That's why I'm looking to upgrade and I prefer a drop-in fit. It Looks like the Stoltec front suspension kit is around $250 (depending on springs) so I might do that. What spring option should I get for my weight? And Pattonme, If those rear shocks you have are good and a drop-in fit then I'm definitely interested.

Member #
    I know some have done it, but I would not run 25mm more ride height at the rear.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler
    El Cheapo Chinese levers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast