What kind of helmets do you guys wear?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on What kind of helmets do you guys wear? within the FZ-09 Gear & Accessories forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; I have an old crappy helmet and I'll be buying a new one this week. What kind of helmet do you guys wear? Mainly talking ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What kind of helmets do you guys wear?

Member #

I have an old crappy helmet and I'll be buying a new one this week.

What kind of helmet do you guys wear? Mainly talking style, not specific type.

I was thinking an adventure style helmet would fit the FZ look.

Was looking at the bell MX-9, or something along those lines.

Just looking for ideas.

Was thinking matte black with gold visor for a Rapid red with gold levers (and shocks of course).

Member #
    Scorpion evo r710 if I am not mistaken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    I was using my Icon Variant, but I've now switched to my new Shoei GT-Air. I still like the Variant, but I find it pulls a lot more in the wind. And the GT-Air has a sweet sun visor built in.
    '15 Silver FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I've just gone to a conventional fullface after years of flipfronts. Safari so likee.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    I have a couple DOT & Snell full face helmets for the FZ-09. A HJC CL-17 & my older HJC CL-SP Pheonix, + a few different shields, clear, dark smoke, etc.

I also have a Fly Trekker Dual Sport hemlet (DOT & ECE certified) that I mainly wear when on the DR650SE. I have worn it on the FZ-09 and it works just fine around town, but the visor does catch the air on the highway. I do find it helps if the helmet visor is moved all the way forward and you don't wear it like you are riding an MX bike.

If you want a helmet with a visor, just make sure it isn't positioned like a sail like this one, or you will need a neck brace, lol.

Name:  mx helmet.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  37.5 KB

I find the visor to be handy in the early morning and evening to block the sun light. I know there are helmets that have internal flip down shades, but from what I have seen all those ones are only DOT certified. I have never seen one that is Snell certified, but I would feel better if there is one that is DOT & ECE certified. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like a helmet that is DOT certified only.
    Ride to work, work to ride.

Member #
    Just recently pulled the trigger on a deeply discounted shoei GT-Air.... my oh my, the days of me owning cheap helmets are over.
    CRFan1 likes this.

Member #
    For 30 years I bought $200 to $350 helmets from AGV's back in 70's and 80's...and then Bell helmets 80's and 90" and then Shoei helmets in the 2000's and finally a Shoei Quest a few years ago. THEN I bought a Schuberth C3-PRO. Game over. The Schuberth is the nicest quality, best fitting and the QUIETEST helmet I ever owned. I'll never buy anything else.

Member #
    I have an RPHA 10 Pro. Actually managed to snag it brand new at a heavy discount for less than $300 as a show of good faith from a retailer after they had a mix-up with an order I'd placed. Fantastic helmet for the price. It has great fit, is fairly light, very comfortable, good air flow and relatively quiet. The pinlock is a nice touch, as is the quick release visor feature if you keep an extra tinted visor in a tank bag and swap depending on how bright it is, or if you get caught out late and need to swap back to a clear visor to ride after the sun goes down
    raja777m and tnfz like this.
    rapid red // stoltec flash // traxxion spec ak-20 & penske 8983 // gpr exhaust // asv levers // tripage pegs & led headlight // motodynamic tail // graves fender eliminator // kev's o2 controller // woodcraft sliders // protaper evo carmichael bars
    Also a 2016 WRX

Member #
    i usually stick with full face helmets. Haven't tried anything else and don't really plan too on account that i like my face how it is.
    yamfz09 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CD599 View Post
    For 30 years I bought $200 to $350 helmets from AGV's back in 70's and 80's...and then Bell helmets 80's and 90" and then Shoei helmets in the 2000's and finally a Shoei Quest a few years ago. THEN I bought a Schuberth C3-PRO. Game over. The Schuberth is the nicest quality, best fitting and the QUIETEST helmet I ever owned. I'll never buy anything else.
    Only problem with Schuberth is that you cannot wash the guts of the helmet, other than that, I heard 100% positive reviews about that helmet.
    Also, it comes under 3.5lbs for a modular with visor (IIRC) is just amazing.

OP:
    Choosing a helmet depends on your riding style and where you ride.
    I wear Full-faced helmet, when I go longer rides(longer than 100 miles or lot of highway miles), weekend rides, track day, touring etc.
    I wear modular when I have to go in stop and go traffic, rain, nearby stores, where I can just flip my jaw thingy on the helmet and drop the visor if needed. It is helpful in stores when I pickup something (food or dry cleaners etc.), I don't need to remove the helmet, even though I have quick release.

If you want full face, the first GT-air, Quest HJC's RPHA or Variant are one of the best options, you could never go wrong with them.

Try fort-nine channel on YT, he have some good videos on comparing the helmets.
    Also, if you like a helmet look up that model in revzilla, it describes in detail about the helmet, also, display the weight, which is also a cruicial one.

TIP: try to get the one with build in sun-visor (dropdown model), so, you don't need to carry sunglasses or different tinted visors..!
    If you want to have the latest model helmet, look for "Best helmets <current year>", if you want best but cheaper price, search for "Best helmets <Current year - 1 or 2>"
    Last edited by raja777m; 09-17-2016 at 08:43 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links