What kind of helmets do you guys wear?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on What kind of helmets do you guys wear? within the FZ-09 Gear & Accessories forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Garage category; I have an old crappy helmet and I'll be buying a new one this week. What kind of helmet do you guys wear? Mainly talking ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What kind of helmets do you guys wear?

Member #

I have an old crappy helmet and I'll be buying a new one this week.

What kind of helmet do you guys wear? Mainly talking style, not specific type.

I was thinking an adventure style helmet would fit the FZ look.

Was looking at the bell MX-9, or something along those lines.

Just looking for ideas.

Was thinking matte black with gold visor for a Rapid red with gold levers (and shocks of course).

Member #
    Scorpion evo r710 if I am not mistaken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    I was using my Icon Variant, but I've now switched to my new Shoei GT-Air. I still like the Variant, but I find it pulls a lot more in the wind. And the GT-Air has a sweet sun visor built in.
    '15 Silver FZ09
    '09 690 SMC (sold)
    '10 WR250X (sold)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I've just gone to a conventional fullface after years of flipfronts. Safari so likee.
    '14 MT 09
    Andreanni Cartridge kits
    Nitron Road and Track Shock
    Givi screen
    Renthal McGrath bend Bars.
    V1+YaV1 Licence protector
    Givi Soft bags w/ fabricated mounts.
    SW Motech Quicklock Tankbag.
    Kevxtx O2 Controller.
    Custom Chain Oiler

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    I have a couple DOT & Snell full face helmets for the FZ-09. A HJC CL-17 & my older HJC CL-SP Pheonix, + a few different shields, clear, dark smoke, etc.

I also have a Fly Trekker Dual Sport hemlet (DOT & ECE certified) that I mainly wear when on the DR650SE. I have worn it on the FZ-09 and it works just fine around town, but the visor does catch the air on the highway. I do find it helps if the helmet visor is moved all the way forward and you don't wear it like you are riding an MX bike.

If you want a helmet with a visor, just make sure it isn't positioned like a sail like this one, or you will need a neck brace, lol.

Name:  mx helmet.JPG
Views: 357
Size:  37.5 KB

I find the visor to be handy in the early morning and evening to block the sun light. I know there are helmets that have internal flip down shades, but from what I have seen all those ones are only DOT certified. I have never seen one that is Snell certified, but I would feel better if there is one that is DOT & ECE certified. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like a helmet that is DOT certified only.
    Ride to work, work to ride.

Member #
    Just recently pulled the trigger on a deeply discounted shoei GT-Air.... my oh my, the days of me owning cheap helmets are over.
    CRFan1 likes this.

Member #
    For 30 years I bought $200 to $350 helmets from AGV's back in 70's and 80's...and then Bell helmets 80's and 90" and then Shoei helmets in the 2000's and finally a Shoei Quest a few years ago. THEN I bought a Schuberth C3-PRO. Game over. The Schuberth is the nicest quality, best fitting and the QUIETEST helmet I ever owned. I'll never buy anything else.
    2015 FZ07 Mods > Traxxion Dynamics AK20's with 8.5k springs.....Traxxion Dynamics revalved and resprung stock shock...Evotech Rad guard..Evotech rear axle sliders...Evotech front axle sliders ...Rizoma frame sliders....Arrow Thunder exhaust .... EJK fuel controller.........Bridgestone BT 016 Pro tires...Givi windscreen...Driven hand grips....Emgo turn signals.....Radial master cylinder....Speigler braided steel brake lines....EBC V pads rear....EBC HH Pads front....Nelson Rigg tailbag.

Member #
    I have an RPHA 10 Pro. Actually managed to snag it brand new at a heavy discount for less than $300 as a show of good faith from a retailer after they had a mix-up with an order I'd placed. Fantastic helmet for the price. It has great fit, is fairly light, very comfortable, good air flow and relatively quiet. The pinlock is a nice touch, as is the quick release visor feature if you keep an extra tinted visor in a tank bag and swap depending on how bright it is, or if you get caught out late and need to swap back to a clear visor to ride after the sun goes down
    raja777m and tnfz like this.
    rapid red // stoltec flash // traxxion spec ak-20 & penske 8983 // gpr exhaust // asv levers // tripage pegs & led headlight // motodynamic tail // graves fender eliminator // kev's o2 controller // woodcraft sliders // protaper evo carmichael bars
    Also a 2016 WRX

Member #
    i usually stick with full face helmets. Haven't tried anything else and don't really plan too on account that i like my face how it is.
    yamfz09 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CD599 View Post
    For 30 years I bought $200 to $350 helmets from AGV's back in 70's and 80's...and then Bell helmets 80's and 90" and then Shoei helmets in the 2000's and finally a Shoei Quest a few years ago. THEN I bought a Schuberth C3-PRO. Game over. The Schuberth is the nicest quality, best fitting and the QUIETEST helmet I ever owned. I'll never buy anything else.
    Only problem with Schuberth is that you cannot wash the guts of the helmet, other than that, I heard 100% positive reviews about that helmet.
    Also, it comes under 3.5lbs for a modular with visor (IIRC) is just amazing.

OP:
    Choosing a helmet depends on your riding style and where you ride.
    I wear Full-faced helmet, when I go longer rides(longer than 100 miles or lot of highway miles), weekend rides, track day, touring etc.
    I wear modular when I have to go in stop and go traffic, rain, nearby stores, where I can just flip my jaw thingy on the helmet and drop the visor if needed. It is helpful in stores when I pickup something (food or dry cleaners etc.), I don't need to remove the helmet, even though I have quick release.

If you want full face, the first GT-air, Quest HJC's RPHA or Variant are one of the best options, you could never go wrong with them.

Try fort-nine channel on YT, he have some good videos on comparing the helmets.
    Also, if you like a helmet look up that model in revzilla, it describes in detail about the helmet, also, display the weight, which is also a cruicial one.

TIP: try to get the one with build in sun-visor (dropdown model), so, you don't need to carry sunglasses or different tinted visors..!
    If you want to have the latest model helmet, look for "Best helmets <current year>", if you want best but cheaper price, search for "Best helmets <Current year - 1 or 2>"
    Last edited by raja777m; 09-17-2016 at 07:43 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links