Does the XSR really have 5.75 size headlights? It seems to be between 5.75 and 7??
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Does the XSR really have 5.75 size headlights? It seems to be between 5.75 and 7??

This is a discussion on Does the XSR really have 5.75 size headlights? It seems to be between 5.75 and 7?? within the XSR900 Gear & Accessories forums, part of the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Forum category; So i purchased a 5.75 led headlight in hopes of using the stock basket with a lil bit of macgyvering to make it work.. But ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Does the XSR really have 5.75 size headlights? It seems to be between 5.75 and 7??

Member #

So i purchased a 5.75 led headlight in hopes of using the stock basket with a lil bit of macgyvering to make it work.. But it seems that the 5.75 led headlight I purchased is smaller than the stock headlight.. Not much, but its enough where you can tell that it doesn't fill up the whole front ring of the stock setup.

Oh well, so it looks like I might have to return this and go for the 7 inch. And most likely a separate headlight housing as well..

Back to the drawing board for now. grrrr..

Member #
    The two sizes you ever hear about are 7" and 5.75", and of the two, ours is definitely closest to the 5.75.

Does the XSR really have 5.75 size headlights?  It seems to be between 5.75 and 7??-img_9365.jpg

I don't know how consistent those sizes are supposed to be, so I guess there can be some variation between brands. For the one you bought that seems a little too small, maybe you could get some of that black foam window sealer that you find at the home improvement stores, and wrap it around the lens to fill the gap?

Name:  Z1tJy0jcpEx-.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  14.6 KB
    Chris_py likes this.
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto26 View Post
    The two sizes you ever hear about are 7" and 5.75", and of the two, ours is definitely closest to the 5.75.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9365.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	78001

I don't know how consistent those sizes are supposed to be, so I guess there can be some variation between brands. For the one you bought that seems a little too small, maybe you could get some of that black foam window sealer that you find at the home improvement stores, and wrap it around the lens to fill the gap?

Name:  Z1tJy0jcpEx-.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  14.6 KB
    Thanks MOto! It's possible that the light i got was smaller than 5.75? I'll post up a pic tomorrow. But either way, it looks like the easiest way is to just get a separate housing since modifying the current basket might take more time. So now I'm considering the 7" sized headlights.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    If you go with 7inch you might need different brackets for headlight. That is what motodemic ended up doing. I believe they sell those brackets as a standalone product.As i mentioned in another post, i was thinking about the motodemic route but decided against it

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OilCan View Post
    If you go with 7inch you might need different brackets for headlight. That is what motodemic ended up doing. I believe they sell those brackets as a standalone product.As i mentioned in another post, i was thinking about the motodemic route but decided against it
    Unfortunately there aren't that much options when it comes to buckets, but the ones I saw so far, should work with the oem one -- You may have to use different spacers and bolts.

Member #
    I used a 7" headlight. It fit into the stock headlight shell with the spring clips that came with the headlight. I paid around 60 bucks on Amazon.
    "Speed Moto Co 7" Headlight Cafe Racer Motorcycle H4 Metal Black". That headlight conversion that is on Youtube is a freakin' joke. They want wayyy too much money for something easily done using your stock headlight shell.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by spitfiremk21 View Post
    I used a 7" headlight. It fit into the stock headlight shell with the spring clips that came with the headlight. I paid around 60 bucks on Amazon.
    "Speed Moto Co 7" Headlight Cafe Racer Motorcycle H4 Metal Black". That headlight conversion that is on Youtube is a freakin' joke. They want wayyy too much money for something easily done using your stock headlight shell.
    Interesting. Any pics? I bought a cheap daymaker 5.75 LED from China, but getting it to fit looks like too much bother. (it is considerably smaller than the stock unit, as the Denali seems to be, which may explain being able to squeeze a 7" in.)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by spitfiremk21 View Post
    Pics please! I'm curious too!. I went down the M5 Denali path and spent $400 which I thought was way too much. But I couldn't find any other solution that would fit in our stock buckets. If you're saying a 7" headlight fit with the spring clips from that Speed Moto Co 7 headlight, then I could have gotten the China version of the JW Speaker adaptive headlight...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8790...782053803.html

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornetmike View Post
    Interesting. Any pics? I bought a cheap daymaker 5.75 LED from China, but getting it to fit looks like too much bother. (it is considerably smaller than the stock unit, as the Denali seems to be, which may explain being able to squeeze a 7" in.)
    Denali m5 headlight on xsr

Check out the last post of mine in this thread. I bought a headlight rim and rubber seal to fill in the gap in the stock headlight rim when I mounted the Denali M5. Those might work for you with the cheap daymaker.

Member #
    It looks like the Speed moto co 7 light is measured from the outside of the pod vs the light. Most of the other daymaker style lights don't have the pod and bezel so they're likely a true 5.75 or 7". I think the issue with the daymaker generic led lights is the depth, most are 3.5"....the Denali says 2.1". Excess, was there much space left in the headlight pod when you installed the denali? Could something with another 1.5" fit in there with the wires?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links