Guitar1616's XSR900 [Never-ending] Build...
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Guitar1616's XSR900 [Never-ending] Build... within the XSR900 Builds forums, part of the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Forum category; Hey guys & gals, I figured I'd share my story, as well as the progress of my XSR900 Build. I've had many individuals PM me, ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Guitar1616's XSR900 [Never-ending] Build...

Member #

Hey guys & gals, I figured I'd share my story, as well as the progress of my XSR900 Build. I've had many individuals PM me, ask me at gas stations, etc. about the items installed on my bike. I figured this would be easier than continuing to receive all these PMs, etc. As we all would probably agree, one can just NEVER stop wrenching on their bike, making adjustments and adding things from time-to-time. It's a good addiction to have, I suppose!

I have owned quite a handful of motorcycles in my lifetime (14-15 at this point), and many of them were Yamahas. My recently, I had built a couple Harley Sportsters, but sure did miss my Yamaha roots (started off on a PW80 when I was in elementary school). As soon as a friend of mine (member @littlebr4d) showed me Yamaha's new release, the XSR, I knew I had to have one. It was tough to think about selling my latest Harley which I had spent all winter (2015) building, but I saw no realistic point in having it simply sit in the corner of the garage, if I had the XSR. I decided to post my Nightster for sale, just to see if I could "make it worth it" to get rid of, and move onto the XSR. Sure enough, the time came, a guy about 300 miles away called me and said, "I want it." We met an agreed price, as long as I delivered it to him (he didn't own a truck, and had no way of getting it to his house). So the journey begins!

Here are two of the last photos of my Nightster:

Loaded up, ready for the road-trip:

Not even an hour after selling it, I browsed Yamaha's website, and came across a dealership within 15 minutes, which had two gray XSRs and one 60th Ann. I loved both: the heritage/vintage-ness of the yellow+speed blocks; and the brushed aluminum just had something about it, so I had to see both in-person. Once I got to the dealership, they told me the second gray one they had (out front) was just put together from the crate, that morning, and was a "test-ride bike." One of the employees took it for a quick spin around the block to scrub in the tires, and not long after, I was out enjoying the test ride that wasn't truly "needed," since I had already decided on the bike. However, it was definitely everything and more than I expected. We met an agreed price (cash surely does 'talk'), and I signed the line for the other gray one in the showroom:

Out enjoying the new purchase, later that day:

Loaded up, heading home from the weekend trip:

First mandatory mod; Reflectors = Removed:

A few days later, my Dart Flyscreen arrived (purchased from Motodemic). I had to fabricate the brackets a bit, in order to make it work with the XSR, but I'm very pleased with how well the lines flow with the headlight, as well as the quality of this flyscreen and hardware:

Nice weekend group ride:

I installed a FZ-09 Tag bracket (off eBay), which did require some work in order to make it fit the XSR. the main mounting area was a lot wider than the rear fender bracket allowed. I had to trim it down a bit. I also had to make the key cylinder hole a little larger, in addition to melting some nylon spacers/washers to the huge diameter license plate holes. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the bracket trimmed down, but here is how I made the license plate mounting holes smaller:

It was time to get rid of those massive pumpkin turn signals. I didn't want to go cutting the OEM wiring harness, plugs, nor wires, so I purchased two pairs of the Yamaha wiring connectors/plugs, in order to make assembly and disassembly as simple as possible (in case I ever decide to change them or go back to stock [if I ever decide to sell the bike]). I purchased connectors very similar to these:

I had purchased the two wire connectors for the rear, and three wire connectors for the front. My original plan was to use the fronts as running lights, and signals, but I wasn't happy with the not-so-noticable difference of brightness from running to signal light, so I decided to just use them as signals (on and off).

I did a bit of research on signals, and came across a set I felt could not have flowed better with the circle theme of the XSR. I won't disclose WHO makes these, so everyone on the forum doesn't go out and buy the same ones! Haha Just kidding! They're made by Harrison Specialities. And here they are. I also installed Frame Sliders, Fork Sliders, and Rear Swing-arm Sliders/Spools:

Close up of the modified rear section, using the same location for the signals, but eliminating the huge mud flap sticking off the back:

I have always loved the feel of shorty levers, so I had to install some, in addition to some fatter grips. These are made by Biltwell, and are extremely comfortable. They fill the open gap inside the palm of your hand. I didn't care for them when I first installed them; my initial thoughts were they were way too large, but about 5-10 minutes into my first ride with them installed, I couldn't believe how much I loved them:

I had spent about an hour each night for a week on my Nightster to achieve the bright white lettering on the tires (multiple coats). It was very time consuming, and although I told myself I'd never do it again, I ended up doing it anyway:

LED Headlight Bulb = Installed:

I purchased an OGIO tail bag, due to it seeming to be a wise-investment, considering all the times I had wished I had one when I was out on the bike. I installed it with the "X" mounting method, using a carabiner underneath the seat to attach all 4 straps, versus strapping them to the frame, subframe, or pegs. Headed out for an awesome (300+ mile) weekend trip to Bike Week, in Ocean City, MD with a few friends:

Last edited by Guitar1616; 11-03-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    G-PRIMO and DowntownBaller like this.

Member #
    When I opened the package for the Evotech Performance Radiator Guard, it was much thicker than I expected. This thing is solid, and very well-built:

Installed bar-end mirrors, and blacked out the radiator side covers & rear subframe trim pieces. I also decided to ditch the rear pegs; you'll notice in some previous photos they are removed, and others they're installed -- I would go back-and-forth, but have decided to keep them off, for now:

R&G Racing Rear Tire Hugger:

With the extension unzipped on the OGIO Tail bag, I could even fit a 12-pack of bottled beer in it, for those unexpected times when you decide, last-minute, you want something to drink when you get home:

Updated shot of it with everything from above:

And here's a shot right before the full Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust system was installed. I also dremeled out the left peg mount, in order to achieve GP Shift Pattern:

Thanks for taking the time to read my short story and checking out my build. Hopefully this will help influence many to not be afraid to build their bike the way they want! I'll continue to post more photos from time-to-time, as I add more goodies.
    Last edited by Guitar1616; 11-05-2016 at 11:21 AM. Reason: (Correcting an autocorrect word error)
    G-PRIMO and 2nerkid like this.

Member #
    Your bike sounds very interesting mate, but your pics don't work!
    gsatterw likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
    Your bike sounds very interesting mate, but your pics don't work!
    Dang. I am using Photobucket for the images, and everything showed up properly in the preview, as well as when I first posted it last night. But they're not showing up now. Very strange. I'll take a look tonight, when I get home from work.

Thanks for letting me know!

Member #
    Hi, when I click on the photo link the photobucket page says that tey are down for maintenance...

Wait and see

Member #
    The photos are showing up on my end... are they working for everyone else, now?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar1616 View Post
    The photos are showing up on my end... are they working for everyone else, now?
    Yes sir
    YT - youtube.com/whoolies
    Insta - instagram.com/who_olies

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by whoolies View Post
    Yes sir

Thanks. I guess Photobucket finally sorted out their "maintenance."

Member #
    Good Looken Steed you got there!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by G-PRIMO View Post
    Good Looken Steed you got there!
    Thanks, man! If I got the 60th Ann, I would head in a very close direction to what you've done with yours!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links