Guitar1616's XSR900 [Never-ending] Build... - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Guitar1616's XSR900 [Never-ending] Build...

This is a discussion on Guitar1616's XSR900 [Never-ending] Build... within the XSR900 Builds forums, part of the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Forum category; Hey Guitar, just a note of caution before you haul your bike in the back of your Tacoma again. You might want to pull up ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Guitar1616's XSR900 [Never-ending] Build...

Member #
    Hey Guitar, just a note of caution before you haul your bike in the back of your Tacoma again. You might want to pull up the bedliner on the tailgate and see what's underneath. I had an '05, and we almost lost my wife's then-new Ducati when the cheesy tailgate did this:

Guitar1616's XSR900 [Never-ending] Build...-taco-d-tailgate.jpg

I don't know what model year yours is, so maybe they've changed the construction, but under the plastic on my truck was almost nothing structural!

Cool thread, otherwise...
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto26 View Post
    Hey Guitar, just a note of caution before you haul your bike in the back of your Tacoma again. You might want to pull up the bedliner on the tailgate and see what's underneath. I had an '05, and we almost lost my wife's then-new Ducati when the cheesy tailgate did this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Taco'd Tailgate.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	58090

I don't know what model year yours is, so maybe they've changed the construction, but under the plastic on my truck was almost nothing structural!

Cool thread, otherwise...
    Holy cow, man!! Mine is a 2013, but thanks for sharing! I'll have to look into that and see if they changed anything with the internal structure of the gate. Seriously, thanks for letting me know! I've hauled quite a number of motorcycles in this Tacoma, but I guess so far I've just been lucky.

Member #
    I've got a 2005 Tacoma also, and there was a TSB for a retrofit kit from Toyota to beef up the tail gate to prevent the damage. I'm sure Toyota has changed the design a long time ago.

Guitar1616 ... nice mods done to your XSR. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Akrapovic exhaust system. I like the way that one sounds with the baffle installed ... don't like super loud exhaust anymore, but something a bit louder than stock would be what I'm looking for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Wow...I have a 2006 Double Cab Tacoma and have hauled my XSR twice...This is the first time I see a tail gate fail like that!

I do get a bit nervous on using the bed rail cleats. I think they are only rated for 200Lbs Max.

How do you guys strap down your bikes in the back of the Tacoma's?

Member #
    When I first got the Tacoma, I was leery of those bed rails, and I did some searching on the forums. I found a couple of cases where guys hauling dirt bikes had the composite bed rail just break off and their bikes fell over. So I would only ever use the cleats at the bottom of the bed.

But I had no idea the tailgate wasn't double wall construction like every other truck I had ever had. It's just an outer shell, and then there are some strips of sheet metal on the inside portion where the bedliner screws in. Otherwise it's just full of big holes.

Several people have added steel or aluminum plate under the plastic liner, and I think that's really all you need. Or just replace the plastic with some aluminum diamond tread or something, which would actually look pretty good...

(BTW, I had that truck until late 2008, and I never got any notice of a TSB on the tail gate...)
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

Member #
    Akra Titanium installed:

Member #
    When I first got the Tacoma, I was leery of those bed rails, and I did some searching on the forums. I found a couple of cases where guys hauling dirt bikes had the composite bed rail just break off and their bikes fell over. So I would only ever use the cleats at the bottom of the bed.

But I had no idea the tailgate wasn't double wall construction like every other truck I had ever had. It's just an outer shell, and then there are some strips of sheet metal on the inside portion where the bedliner screws in. Otherwise it's just full of big holes.

Several people have added steel or aluminum plate under the plastic liner, and I think that's really all you need. Or just replace the plastic with some aluminum diamond tread or something, which would actually look pretty good...

(BTW, I had that truck until late 2008, and I never got any notice of a TSB on the tail gate...)
    Moto: I checked the TacomaWorld forum, and apparently Toyota has since corrected the issue with the tailgate. Good to know!
    Moto26 likes this.

Member #
    Now some of you guys with older '05+ Tacomas need to make sure yours are up to date!
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

Member #
    Now some of you guys with older '05+ Tacomas need to make sure yours are up to date!
    Search for TSB BO004-07 - search results. Open the first hit in the list for current tailgate TSB.

https://www.google.com/#q=tacoma+TSB+BO004-07

Member #
    Interesting...

I wondered why I never got the TSB, but then I realized the Ducatis were 2008 models, which we picked up in 2007. We got His and Hers bikes the same day, and I was riding mine home as my wife drove hers home in the truck. After my tailgate turned into a "Taco" (see what I did there), I went and traded it in sometime in Nov. of 2007 - almost exactly when the TSB was issued. Ha!

Anyway, looking at the TSB, I'm not sure what it actually consists of. Just the top edge protector, maybe a little stronger? When you remove the plastic liner, you'll see what I'm talking about. Here's what one guy did to strengthen his...

Guitar1616's XSR900 [Never-ending] Build...-tailgate_mod.jpg

He added in some heavy steel square tubing to reinforce the tailgate. You can see how there's nothing there but AIR to hold up your bike. Honestly, I don't even know how the truck survived hauling a bike even once! I still can't believe Toyota green-lit that design...

Okay, I'll try not to jack your thread any more, Guitar...
    Morten likes this.
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links