XSR900 Gauge Relocation... - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

XSR900 Gauge Relocation...

This is a discussion on XSR900 Gauge Relocation... within the XSR900 Builds forums, part of the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Forum category; Boom! Bob Utah Jay Moke DFW and Jake... Congrats, fellows. Please let me know when you get them, and post up some pics when you ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: XSR900 Gauge Relocation...

Member #
    Boom!

Bob
    Utah
    Jay
    Moke
    DFW
    and Jake...

Congrats, fellows. Please let me know when you get them, and post up some pics when you get 'em installed...
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cageracer View Post
    You should buy some fluro pink ones and send them to the arsehole that complained about your white ones!
    Why don't you send them directly to me???
    I am the arsehole, that all in fun and without offending, complained about the white washers.
    Go back and try read and comprehend how it all went down, that way you can understand that you misjudged the hole thing.
    Then and only then, you will realize who the real arsehole is.

Member #

Cool

@Moto26:
    Don't forget my "flouro pink" ones for my rainbow bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Damn those went fast !
    Moto26 likes this.
    Previous bikes 99zx6r,06 636, 03r1(my favorite) , vn900 , 13 Harley blackline , 01 softail , 04 r1 , 96 Harley dyna , 07 gsxr 750 ,06fz1, many dirt bikes and now a beautiful 60th in my garage !!

Member #
    Is the personal touch a tip of the hat to King Kenny?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CallMeMoke View Post
    Is the personal touch a tip of the hat to King Kenny?

Yeah, it's the least I could do...
    CallMeMoke likes this.
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto26 View Post
    This is a simple mod, which really compliments the front end when you run lower bars and bar-end mirrors. The instrument pod ends up sitting straight up in the middle of nowhere and looks out of place. The good news is, it's extremely easy to drop down behind the headlight for just a couple of dollars!

Ingredients:

2) black plastic spacers, 3/4" long (about 35mm) with a 1/4" (6mm) hole. The ones I used are 1/2" outside diameter. (More on these below...)

2) 6mm x 1.0 stainless steel button head screws, 40mm long (commonly available at most hardware stores)

2) 6mm stainless nylon lock nuts (stainless is optional, but definitely the nyloc part)

You just run the screws all the way down the original threaded holes, and tighten the nuts underneath the stock aluminum bracket. It's a tight fit getting the nuts in place, but you can do it! Here's a close-up of the finished product:

Attachment 36881

A comparison between stock and modified. The new location is about 1-1/4" lower than stock, which is about as far as you can drop it without making any other mods...

Attachment 36897

The view from the cockpit is virtually identical to the stock view, other than being a little over an inch further away from your eyes...

Attachment 36905

Here's where you can really see the difference it makes:

Attachment 36913

And here's the overall picture of how things look. (I also added a little personalized touch at the rear of the bike since I last posted...)

Attachment 36921

Now, a note about the spacers:

A "certain someone" made sure to point out that when I first played around with this mod, all I had on hand at the time were some white nylon spacers, about 3/8" tall. Yes, they looked a little out of place, but hey...

Anyway, I could not find any place in my town that had any kind of black spacers in stock. So I went to my go-to online supplier, McMaster-Carr. They tend to have just about anything you can think of. So they obviously had exactly what I needed - except they only had them in packs of 20! But they weren't very expensive, so I ordered them up, and they worked perfectly...

So here's my offer to you, my fellow XSR900 owners:

I'm going to keep a few of these on hand, because from time to time I have a need for spacers like these, BUT... For any of you who want to try this mod at home, I'm willing to send a pair of these spacers to the first 5 people who post "Yes, please!" in the reply box, and then PM their mailing address to me (Continental US only, please )

Also, JakeFromStateFarm, I have a pair reserved for you, since you were also white-spacer-shamed by the same poster, who shall remain nameless, except I'll mention that Snoopy is on the lookout for him...
    could make a bracket like this too for the XSR, mounted on top of the triple clamp, under the risers/bar clamps
    XSR900 Gauge Relocation...-cam00915.jpg
    XSR900 Gauge Relocation...-cam00940.jpg
    Moto26 likes this.

Senior Member JakeFromStateFarm's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by thrstrmech View Post
    could make a bracket like this too for the XSR, mounted on top of the triple clamp, under the risers/bar clamps
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00915.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	37257
    That is awesome. I wish I had the equipment to fab something like that. I'd love the gauge to be about a half inch closer to center so I could narrow the bar width of my Woodcrafts. (yeah yeah I know, I'm a short dude give me a break ). Currently the gauge is in the way of the front brake master cylinder.

Member #
    Thank You Moto26 for the spacers. They were installed this morning, and I like the results.

For those that missed out on the spacer pay forward, my local Ace Hardware had various spacers in the fastener area that will work perfectly.
    Last edited by Utahusker; 08-18-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    Moto26 likes this.

Member #
    I really like this simple mod, but I was unable to find the materials needed at local hardware stores, so I followed Moto26 instructions...and now I have packs.
    These forums have been really helpful when it comes to tinkering with my bike, so I want to pay it forward.
    If there are people still wanting to do this, here is round 2 of the offer.

"I'm willing to send a pair of the needed materials to the first 5 people who post "Yes, please!" in the reply box, and then PM their mailing address to me (Continental US only, please)"

The nuts are a bit of a pain to get into place, but it's totally possible!
    XSR900 Gauge Relocation...-bike1.jpgXSR900 Gauge Relocation...-bike2.jpgXSR900 Gauge Relocation...-bike5.jpg
    Moto26 likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links