New FTecu flash tune file for full exhaust
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on New FTecu flash tune file for full exhaust within the XSR900 Builds forums, part of the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Forum category; I don't know if anyone else with the xsr has the FTecu bench flashing kit, but I just saw this today. Graves put the flash ...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: New FTecu flash tune file for full exhaust

Senior Member JakeFromStateFarm's Avatar
    Member #

I don't know if anyone else with the xsr has the FTecu bench flashing kit, but I just saw this today. Graves put the flash file for their full exhaust in the file manager. Looks like it was just added last week. I have the Akro carbon full exhuast, but haven't adjusted the fuel map at all so I'm going to try this file tonight and see how it runs. I'll report back if there's any interest. Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  14.6 KB
    madboy48, minsk99 and Perka like this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeFromStateFarm View Post
    I don't know if anyone else with the xsr has the FTecu bench flashing kit, but I just saw this today. Graves put the flash file for their full exhaust in the file manager. Looks like it was just added last week. I have the Akro carbon full exhuast, but haven't adjusted the fuel map at all so I'm going to try this file tonight and see how it runs. I'll report back if there's any interest. Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  14.6 KB
    Cool let me know. I'm waiting to know if a good tune is out there before I splurge on an exhaust system...

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
    Perka likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by madboy48 View Post
    Cool let me know. I'm waiting to know if a good tune is out there before I splurge on an exhaust system...

Will do. But for what it's worth, other than the popping on decel, I couldn't really a notice a difference in how the bike ran when I went from stock to my full exhaust. There's also a mail-in flash from vcyclenut for our bike that comes with lifetime reflashes if you want to adjust anything in the future for $200.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thanks, yep, saw that in a previous, post but the mail in is not an option for me from Sydney. 😁

Usually with hi flow exhausts, it needs a remap for lower end response, due to stock air fuel mixture. This usually manifests in sluggish throttle response at idle and low revs. Given I commute, this area is important to me.

Member #
    Definitely interested Jake. Please let us know how the test flight goes.

Member #
    Very interested too! I have the full akra titanium exhaust, and feel like I have to get my xsr flashed. Also please give any other insight on the FTecu system. It works well and doesn't trigger warning lights or any other unwanted things?

Member #
    Is there a guide with pictures on how to remove the ecu?
    Also, does flashing the ecu woid warranty?
    As I am getting the akrapovic in a few weeks I am going to order the ftecu flash tune kit.
    Are there other flash tune kits other than ftecu anyone would recommend?

Thanks.
    Morten likes this.

Member #
    very interested as I am in contact with FTecu for my XSR with Akra full carbon racing system

Member #
    First I'll respond to you guys and then I'll post my impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredde_V View Post
    Very interested too! I have the full akra titanium exhaust, and feel like I have to get my xsr flashed. Also please give any other insight on the FTecu system. It works well and doesn't trigger warning lights or any other unwanted things?
    The system is good but if I knew what I know now, I probably wouldn't get it. Back when I was researching it, the mail in flash I was comparing it to was $350 I believe, so $450 for the kit was a no brainer, as I like tweaking things. But now I know about vcyclenut's mail in flash for $200 with lifetime reflashes for tweaking and that's just the clear winner in terms of value. Additionally, as soon as I clicked on the ignition after flashing the first time, I got a check engine light and it's been on since. FTecu has mailed me a cable that lets you plug a standard obd2 scanner into the diagnostics port under the seat and basically just said to clear the codes. My scanner is coming in the mail today so I'll have to follow up on how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Perka View Post
    Is there a guide with pictures on how to remove the ecu?
    Also, does flashing the ecu woid warranty?
    As I am getting the akrapovic in a few weeks I am going to order the ftecu flash tune kit.
    Are there other flash tune kits other than ftecu anyone would recommend?
    It's super simple, remove the 6 bolts and 4 pop rivets from the gas tank cover, remove the metal tank side covers, remove two bolts hold the top of the gas tank on, and then you can lift just the top a few inches so you have enough room to pull the ecu off.

I asked my dealer explicitly if flashing would void the warranty and they said no, but other people will say that if it's not in writing, it doesn't count for anything. Ask your service department and try to get it in writing if you're worried.

As far as I know there aren't any flash-at-home kits available.
    doughboy334 likes this.

Member #
    Well I'll start off by saying that I didn't think my bike was running poorly after installing my exhaust. I actually didn't notice a difference from stock at all, although I had only had the bike 6 days at that point and was still babying it.

Boy was I wrong.

If the bike was at a 100 before (because I thought it was), it's at a 120-130 now. Nearly every aspect of what the engine done is noticeably better. The first thing I noticed was how much smoother it is when going from off throttle to on throttle. It wasn't jerky before and I didn't think it had any fueling issues like the FZ was plagued with, but it's just so much better now. Getting on the throttle mid corner with the bike leaned over is so much more confidence inspiring. Additionally, and maybe related, is that throttle sensitivity at low throttle is much improved. Compared to how it is now, before it was like the throttle was either at 20% or 0% with nothing in between and now all of that range is usable and smooth. I rode pretty much entirely in A mode last night where I would hardly ever use it before.

The next biggest difference is mid to high rpm at mid to high throttle. It delivers power smoother, stronger, and it sounds... better? Cleaner? Idk, but it sounds healthier. Maybe because of this, shifting up under mid to hard acceleration is cleaner. I found myself wanting an adjustable clutch lever so the friction point could be closer in because the bike is ready to go with power sooner than it was before. Blipping the throttle on downshifts was easier and a bit quicker as well.

Things that haven't improved: engine braking. I know this is a personal preference kind of thing, but I still wish it didn't engine brake as hard in gears 1-3. The only downside about using the Graves file is that everything except ecu settings is hidden and unadjustable, so it's not like I can dial in less engine braking on my own. The only thing I can mess with is top speed limiter, disabling AIS, defaulting to A mode, and fan temps.

None of the changes here are drastic, but combined they make a huge difference in the bike's character. Like I said, I didn't think anything was wrong with it before, but I can just tell that the engine is much much happier now. Would it be worth it to get a similar but more customized tune from vcycylenut for $200? Yes, absolutely. Heck, it's even worth it if you go my direction with the bench kit for $450. If the thing standing between you and an exhaust is waiting on confirmation of a good tune, you don't have to wait any longer.

I think I covered everything but I'd be happy to answer questions about anything else.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links