A few of Kevxtx mods
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

A few of Kevxtx mods

This is a discussion on A few of Kevxtx mods within the FZ-09 Builds forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; I thought I would share what I have been up on my MT09 The clutch has been bugging me so I bought a second clutch ...

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: A few of Kevxtx mods

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #

A few of Kevxtx mods

I thought I would share what I have been up on my MT09

The clutch has been bugging me so I bought a second clutch pull lever & cut the plate off & welded on a longer plate, the new plate is 8mm longer from centre to centre = a much lighter clutch, I had to bend the cable bracket so the inner cable pulls straight, I will put a nice titanium bolt & nylock nut on tomorrow.

I won't be building any more this is a once off mod for my bike.

I rode with this mod for a while & progressed to the next stage in contacting Magura in Germany but they don't list or build a kit for the 09's, I have been working with them & have a final version fitted to my 2014 MT09 which will hopefully come out in the future line with Magura. Otherwise the listed parts is the kit that I have fitted to my bike.

I used this kit that has a 167 gen2, 9.5mm master cylinder with a 30% lighter clutch pull compared to the standard cable clutch. UPDATE 25.5.16 If I did the mod again I would be using a master cylinder with a 10.5mm piston 2700185 with 2mm longer stroke. http://100moto.com.au/kx500-1988-to-...model-2100004/

The Clutch switch needs to be wired into the OEM loom. http://100moto.com.au/magura-master-...tch-167-model/

Bar mount, correct thread & mirror size mount for OEM mirror, just ask for a black one, if you have bar end mirrors you do not need this mount. http://100moto.com.au/magura-master-...-mirror-mount/

You need to remove the tank & air box to fit the kit, it threads through the frame no problems & follows the same cable path as the OEM cable, the kit is plug & play I only had to wiring in the clutch switch.
    I wired in the clutch switch just behind the head light as I did not want to modify the loom by the bars, I matched the connector for the new clutch switch & soldered in the new connector loom that I made.

I will need to sort the brake lever out now to matching colours

If you contact Paul he will do you a better deal on all the parts.

Paul Hoey

Magura, Liquid Intelligence,
    ACD Racing Parts, Mishimoto, SCAR,
    Blitz Vision, Storm, WeaponMX, Factory,
    TamerMX, Frank Industries, Racer00, Goat

P: (03) 9753 6955
    F: (03) 9753 6966
    E: paul@100moto.com.au
    Click: www.100moto.com.au
    Last edited by kevxtx; 05-25-2016 at 05:17 AM.
    FZ09R and Tigershark like this.
    2017 MT09: 0.95 Sonic springs in Andreani Cartridges, modified fork valving from Matt , 5w oil @ 380mm oil volume in R & 2.5w in compression leg, Matris rear shock. Full Woolich Race tools & tune, up/down QS, launch control, pit lane limiter, Shorty levers, Protaper bars, Lithium iron battery, steering damper, Titanium bolts & nuts everywhere, Akra Carbon, R1 front 320mm wave brake rotors, full set Hell brake lines, MT07 Wave rear rotor, R1 tail tidy with 2016 rear axle, R1 indicators,

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    At the beginning of this year I was the first to work out how to fit a cheap damper to the 09, since then a few of the guys have improved on my version which is great to see.

I am not saying everyone must do this mod all I am showing is what I have done to my bike, a steering damper mod for under Oz $90.00.

I bought one of these off EBay 52MM STEERING DAMPER FORK CLAMP Motorcycle, 52mm Steering Damper Fork Clamp Motorcycle | eBay
    An adjustable steering dampener, CNC Steering Damper Stabilizer For | eBay

Then made up a bracket as shown below & bolted it all up.

6mm hole frame side & 8mm hole at the damper.

Some more photo's

Last edited by kevxtx; 10-02-2015 at 03:38 PM.
    upsidedown and beck like this.
    2017 MT09: 0.95 Sonic springs in Andreani Cartridges, modified fork valving from Matt , 5w oil @ 380mm oil volume in R & 2.5w in compression leg, Matris rear shock. Full Woolich Race tools & tune, up/down QS, launch control, pit lane limiter, Shorty levers, Protaper bars, Lithium iron battery, steering damper, Titanium bolts & nuts everywhere, Akra Carbon, R1 front 320mm wave brake rotors, full set Hell brake lines, MT07 Wave rear rotor, R1 tail tidy with 2016 rear axle, R1 indicators,

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    I did some testing on the air box & filters & these were my findings.

I am not indorsing this mod all I am doing is sharing info from back to back testing, Ok we have some results from installing a DNA filter & cutting the snorkel out with before & after Dyno runs using the same Dyno, same bike, same day, with no other modification besides the filter & snorkel removal, they are only small gains but they are a result that would show more gains with a freer flowing pipe which I will measure when I get my Akra Carbon in a few weeks time. I took the best runs from each sets of tests.

Before & After HP V RPM, Blue run completely STD bike, RED run DNA filter + snorkel removal

Before & after Torque V RPM

A Before & after A/F ratio we can see the DNA & snorkel mod runs the bike a little leaner.

The interesting one is when the bike is measuring HP over time under the same Dyno brake load, the DNA & snorkel mod produces a nice gain in HP when measured over time, this test simulates acceleration over a known calculated time period.

What we did, we removed the air box lid, cut the snorkel off, drilled out the baffle plate & removed it, then cut the intake hole bigger on the lid.

The larger hole is still protected from water entry.

Final thoughts, the MT/FZ 09 has a well designed air intake system & there was little gains from the mod, at least someone has posted the results, as mentioned the mod will show further gains once we bolt on a free flow pipe, the intake noise is low with the mod but comes with a nice growl on hard accelerations, there was no losses anywhere with this mod so not a bad result in the end, watch this space more Dyno results to come.

I will explore pod filters next or a full foam filter air box setup simular to what I run on my 1290, I will look at doing some 3D printed straight stacks to see if there are any gains there.
    Last edited by kevxtx; 04-19-2015 at 12:50 AM.
    upsidedown and whitenite like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    I have done a few other mods to my front end, I bought a fork cartridge kit ANDREANI GROUP YAMAHA MT-09 MT09 MT 09 105/Y07 Cartridge Cartouche Andreani Group Yamaha MT 09 MT09 MT 09 105 Y07 | eBay

If you contact the guy he will do you a better deal than off EBay. I asked for 1.0kg/mm springs at the time of order, to cut a long story short the heaviest spring they offer for this set is 0.85kg/mm, so I stripped the new cartridges & fitted my Sonic 0.95kg/mm but need to do a few adjustments to make the Sonic spring fit.

The Sonic springs are 30mm longer so I got my mate Kev2 to machine the identical spring spaces 30mm shorter, I also removed 2 of the fork spring centralizing spacers machine new ones the same length as the two removed but with a bigger diameter so it centralizers the new Sonic spring. All went together like a glove, a nice improvement to my ride.

I also made my own fork spring compressor, which only cost a few $

I did end up using a ratchet strap.

Tigershark likes this.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    This one is a big thank you to Marty for all his time & research on a mod that works so well.

A 2009 ZX10R rear shock installed, I had to drill out one end of the shock from 10mm to 12mm & set my sag to 40mm.

Last edited by kevxtx; 04-19-2015 at 12:54 AM.
    upsidedown and Tigershark like this.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    I have just about replaced every bolt on my 09 with Titanium except main engine casing bolts, the lower frame bolts were seriously rusted for a 4 month old bike, I am on bike 48 & this one has the worst bolts I have ever seen for it's age, they look fine until you pull them out.

Last edited by kevxtx; 06-12-2015 at 01:58 AM.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Fitted my Akra Carbon, with around a 4kgs saving over the STD pipe, have booked a custom map in the coming weeks. The pipe is not as loud as I expected, the ride is smooth, can feel a bit more mid range torque, rev freely up top, should go well with a custom map.

Dyno tests between the Akra Carbon & STD pipe> akro carbon are shipping

Last edited by kevxtx; 09-11-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Member #
    I have seen and ridden Kev's bike with the Magura haudrulic clutch conversion today while he fitted his O2 controller mod to my bike.

It is a very professional installation and could have been part of the original bike it is that clean an install.

Kev's O2 controller mod is also a quality part and transforms the EFI closed circuit fueling jerkiness into a seamless transition from closed to part open throttle.
    RBC likes this.
    2015 Matt Grey,
    Andriani fork cartridges & Ohlins YA335 shock,
    Akropovic S-Y9R2-AFC Racing Line 'Carbon' system,
    Kevxtx O2 Mod Controller & ECU reflash
    Woodcraft protection, flyscreen
    Fender eliminator, Rizoma tail light,
    Seat Cowl, Pillion block off plates,
    HEL RED full braided brake lines,
    LED slim blinkers, CNC bar end mirrors,
    DNA air filter, Graves block off plates, air box mod
    SSG shorty levers and lotz of Red anodized Bling!!
    Ti bits to come

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Ok the Akra is only one day old & needs to be modified, I want to build a Auto Tune PCV map before I head to the Dyno for custom mapping in two weeks time & you ask why because I like to play, I had to weld in a 2nd O2 sensor bung so I can do the job correctly.

Thanks to Kev2 for your help today.

We also have real problems here in Australia Queensland if you get cause with a none compliant bike when you have removed the Kat, big fines & lost points, so I have worked out a solution today for that using a Akra Kat I had lying around, I will have the Kat removed for any mapping. The Kat was not a correct fit & need to have a thin stainless steel sleave machined up to hold it central, the length was perfect & the cat is bigger than the inlet into the Kat chamber, it is a 200 core cat which will not affect the performance by much, there is no sound difference with or without the Kat.

Tigershark likes this.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Custom Akra Carbon PCV mapped on the Dyno this past Saturday, the ride/throttle response is much smoother, all PCV fuel cells remapped to 13.2:1 in the open loop, I still run my O2 controller that controls the closed loop area to 13.6:1. This custom map can be found at this link: Custom built Dyno PCV maps.

The Akra carbon shows between +8 to +10 rear wheel HP gains between the STD & Akra pipes.

This is what the difference are between 4th gear in BLUE to 6th gear in RED

This is the difference in Torque between the old Yamaha OEM flash with custom PCV map with STD exhaust Verse the latest Yamaha OEM flash with custom PCV map with the Akra Carbon measured on the same Dyno in 4th gear.

Last edited by kevxtx; 04-19-2015 at 01:06 AM.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links