Scotts Turbo FZ09 build
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Scotts Turbo FZ09 build

This is a discussion on Scotts Turbo FZ09 build within the FZ-09 Builds forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; Hey guys, been a member on here for awhile. Starting a thread for my diy turbo build. Heres the gist-- I've turbocharged, tuned and done ...

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Scotts Turbo FZ09 build

Member #

Scotts Turbo FZ09 build

Hey guys, been a member on here for awhile. Starting a thread for my diy turbo build. Heres the gist--

Scotts Turbo FZ09 build-20160104_201434.jpg

I've turbocharged, tuned and done many engine swaps my own cars and friends stuff, it just cant be stock for long haha. So now the time has come to make an unnecessary amount of power from my FZ09.As much as I like the Extreme Creations kit, lets face it, its 6 ****in grand, that's more than the bike is worth. Over the course of my car related projects, I've collected a good amount of parts that will help keep this project under 1500 bucks (I hope). Since I put a big turbo on my Subaru Legacy, I have the stock IHI vf40 laying around. I think it will make decent power on 6-7 psi, enough to wheelie in any gear lol. If it doesn't suite my needs, there are a ton of various sized Subaru turbos I have access to through a friend. Its still up in the air where Ill mount it, both have their pros and cons. Waiting for a stock header to show up so I can eyeball some stuff.

Making the hard parts for this isn't the hard part, its the tuning side thats always most difficult. I started this project by taking some of the bike apart and seeing what I alread had to work with. I tested the stock fuel pump to find its flow rate. Its a common Mitsubishi uc-t35 fuel pump used in a ton of bikes, but there isn't any real info on its capabilities. After some testing I found it flowed 120lph at 14.5volts at 43 psi, which is enough to support about 200rwhp, more than enough. The injectors were also tough to find any info on, but they are also used in 07-08 R1s and the WR450, engines with about 40hp per cylinder. I believe they are the same as the yamaha nytro snowmobile injectors, which flow 323cc, which would be on par with the power the support. Luckily there are a few companies that make injectors to fit the snowmobile application which I believe will work nicely(more on this later). Now for the management end of things. After pressure testing the stock map sensors, I found they can read a max of 5 psi of pressure. Im unsure if I will use FlashTune to tune on the stock ecu. There isn't currently pressure based ignition tuning from what I saw on thier software. While I could be wrong, still, FlashTune is only able to bench flash FZ09 ecus. That means taking the ecu out for every little change I need to make. The Power Commander V PTI seems like a nice tuning solution. Pressure and Temp based fuel and ignition maps and the ability to tune while the bike is running.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scotts Turbo FZ09 build-20160106_181638.jpg  
    Last edited by giebsfz; 08-31-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Member #

fuel pump mods

So while I debate the tuning option and wait for a stock header to show up, I started to tackle some of the smaller projects. I had emailed Extreme Creations about their fuel pump unit. They got back to me....As i suspected, their regulator is a fmu style which explains how they get away with stock injectors. FMU's are old school, from back in the day before guys could crack stock computers to tune for larger injectors. They raise fuel pressure (a lot) with boost pressure to add fuel. While they are ok from low boost applications, nothing matches the tuneablity and consistency of a properly tuned ecu with larger injectors. Then there's the fact that Extreme Creations fancy billet fuel pump unit costs 1000USD. yikes

So after finding that the stock pump would suffice for my goals, I ran with it. By using about 60 bucks worth of hardware and a rising rate (1:1) fuel pressure regulator I had laying around, I got the ball rolling. I started by taking this ford style Aeromotive regulator I had from a 5.0 swapped 240sx and drilled the orifices for 1/8npt fittings, easy and mostly free.
    Scotts Turbo FZ09 build-20160106_180128.jpg

At this point I felt comitted to the project and drilled a big ol' hole in my sending unit for a return fitting.
    Scotts Turbo FZ09 build-20160105_172053_1.jpgScotts Turbo FZ09 build-20160105_172317.jpgScotts Turbo FZ09 build-20160105_172430.jpg
    In order to put a nut on the backside of the bulkhead fitting, I had to grind away a bit of plastic that holds the oem fuel regulator in. Later this week I will be using my neighbors lathe to make up a plug to block the stock regulator hole, Ill have to make it a bit longer so it rests against that bulkhead fitting and doesn't fall out lol. I'll also try to make a plug that will replace the stock fuel pressure damper that I can drill and tap for a npt to barb fitting for my return line. Theres a piece available for the Nytro snowmobile that i think will work, but its 50 bucks. Since I have the aluminum stock and fittings, Ill try making one before I buy it. Ill have another update this weekend sometime.
    Last edited by giebsfz; 08-31-2016 at 06:31 PM.
    chris1261 and DNFDOUG like this.

Member #
    Good luck with this project.
    YAMAWHORE FOR LIFE.
    Currently : 2015 FZ-09 and 2008 FZ-1 .... 2006 TTR 125 pit bike as well.
    Past Yamaha machines : 2006 R1 , 2009 WR 250R , 2000 R6 , 1988 YSR50, 1990 YSR50, 1990 YSR80, 2005 BWS

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    You got our attention, keep us posted on all the updates.
    2016 MT09: 0.95 Sonic springs, Andreani Cartridges , 5w oil @ 420mm oil volume, ZX10r rear shock. PCV with A/T300 + POD- 300 data logger, DynoJet Quickshifter, 2nd welded in wide band sensor in STD + my O2 controller, Shorty levers, Protaper bars, Lithium iron battery, kevxtx steering damper, Titanium bolts & nuts everywhere: Akra Carbon sitting on the bench. Magura Hydraulic clutch. Do all my own Re-flashes for all MT's.

Member #
    Fun project. I couldn't find a compressor map for the VF40, probably because it isn't very common (globally). Aside from the fact you had it in your garage, is there a reason you picked it? What type of power curve are you looking for? Mid-range or top end? Intercooled or straight through? Aside from being a ball-bearing Garrett, I don't think I've heard what turbo Extreme Creations are using. My initial thought was to use a TD04-13G since they are a dime a dozen and will make for a nice midrange bump (7,000RPM) and should pull decently to the top.

If you decide to go with the FT approach, I'd recommending buying this: 2014 14 Yamaha FZ09 Main Wire Harness Wiring Loom FZ 09 FZ9 S001371 44A | eBay . Chop the ECU connector off for the ECU pins and add them to your existing harness to make a bike harness. Now that I think of it, I might even have some spare pins lying around... PCV might be a good option layered on top of the FT software. This would give you full control over engine, albeit through two interfaces.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoltec Moto View Post
    I don't think I've heard what turbo Extreme Creations are using.
    They are using a Garret GT-25 which I assume they mod a bit to make it work for them......I have one here still new in the box that is left over from my last turbo project.....
    2014 FZ09 Mods> Ivans ECU Flash....... Penske 8983....... GP fork piston kit.......Woodcraft Frame Sliders....Woodcraft Axle Sliders ...Woodcraft Engine guards...Chinese spools...
    Spiegler SS brake lines .....APE CC tensioner .....Antigravity AG-801 Battery......tripage LED headlight.......tripage LED pegs ...Watsen Design front turn signals..and some other stuff I dont feel like listing

Member #
    I forgot about your turbo Sporty. What are you running on that engine?

Member #
    Some triump s3r guys use a gt22 or 25. A lot of gsxr 750 guys use gt28s. The vf40 is a bit smaller than a gt28. Like I said I have access to other turbos smaller (td04) and larger (vf52)so I'll see how it runs first. I think it should be a close fit.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoltec Moto View Post
    Fun project. I couldn't find a compressor map for the VF40, probably because it isn't very common (globally). Aside from the fact you had it in your garage, is there a reason you picked it? What type of power curve are you looking for? Mid-range or top end? Intercooled or straight through? Aside from being a ball-bearing Garrett, I don't think I've heard what turbo Extreme Creations are using. My initial thought was to use a TD04-13G since they are a dime a dozen and will make for a nice midrange bump (7,000RPM) and should pull decently to the top.

If you decide to go with the FT approach, I'd recommending buying this: 2014 14 Yamaha FZ09 Main Wire Harness Wiring Loom FZ 09 FZ9 S001371 44A | eBay . Chop the ECU connector off for the ECU pins and add them to your existing harness to make a bike harness. Now that I think of it, I might even have some spare pins lying around... PCV might be a good option layered on top of the FT software. This would give you full control over engine, albeit through two interfaces.
    I'm going for mostly more top end. Bike makes plenty of torque as is. Planning on no intercooler for now but I have been researching some options just incase I change my mind. I'm still weighing my options on tuning, I need get some more info from experienced FT users and from dynojet about a PCV Pti application for an fz

Member #
    Good luck with the build man... Hopefully you don't have to shoot blind with the injectors... You would be able to read the duty cycle on injectors while tuning I'm assuming.

Cool you're using a Subaru turbo.. Just had the motor and turbo replaced in my 13' wrx
    Ben
    2015 Matte Gray Fz09

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links