Scotts Turbo FZ09 build - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Scotts Turbo FZ09 build

This is a discussion on Scotts Turbo FZ09 build within the FZ-09 Builds forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; go pte 4831 or maybe mcxpress can build a kit for it (ghostrider 499whp turbobusa builder)...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Scotts Turbo FZ09 build

Member #
    go pte 4831

or maybe mcxpress can build a kit for it (ghostrider 499whp turbobusa builder)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoltec Moto View Post
    I didn't think the OP was looking to use the VF52...just that it was a potential candidate based on what he has on the shelf.
    correct, Ill be using a VF40

Quote Originally Posted by srech77 View Post
    With respect to Ben at Extreme Creations, the price for his kit is not $6,000+ as you put in your initial post ... the prices on his website are listed in Australian Dollars. The total price (to your door) for his kit with tuning is about $4,800 USD. And while I agree that's still a good chunk of bacon for bike parts, I think many would agree it's not unrealistic for what you're getting with his kit. I look at it like you're getting the horsepower of a Super Duke 1290R out of a Yamaha FZ-09 ... And he is now doing R&D for the stage II upgrade to his kit which is an intercooler and stiffer valve springs - should push it north of 200whp for those who just need more!

ANYWAY - I still commend you for doing your own build, I think that's awesome - it's more than I could ever accomplish in my garage - and I'm with everyone else here in that I'm excited to see the progress and ultimately the end result. Cheers and good luck -
    Yea nothing against bens kit. Its super nice, but for me, its hard to pay that much for something I know I could probably do it myself with a little bit of work. I've always like piecing stuff together, making it my own.

Quote Originally Posted by marthy View Post
    Nice project!

What are you using for MAP sensor? I used the PLX map sensor on my FZ6R, the sensor is good up to 3Bar and you can hook it up to the PCV extra channel. That's the route I would go if I was you for fueling for now.

With the PCV + Autotune + LCD-200 you can do about anything, include data logging in real life. I use MegaViewer HD to look at the data, work great! As far as duty cycle, the biggest number I've seen was 65% duty cycle. That's in 3rd gear, 100% throttle at the rev limiter. So you have like a 10% to play with, pass that you might need to go one step up on the injector or adding secondary injectors?

Good luck, I'll be following this thread.
    I know you can add a map sensor to a standard PCV, but Id like MAP based ignition tuning that the PTI unit offers. You really dont want to run injectors to much past 80% With a projected power increase of 50% or so, Ill probably need 60% more fuel. that works out to be like a 510cc injector if stock is 320cc like I suspect. Like I said, Ill probably send out an injector to be sure of what Im working with before I buy a bunch of tuning stuff.
    Last edited by giebsfz; 01-06-2016 at 05:04 PM.
    marthy likes this.

Member #
    So I did some eyebaling on the stock header and turbo placement when I got home from work.

I started by removing the coolant overflow bottle to free up some much needed space. I decided the hotside must face to the left to get the most use out of the space I have between the engine and front tire. I laid the turbo near where I wanted it, getting the turbo as close the the motor to where it wont melt any cooling components. The coolant overflow wont fit back in place, but its small enough to relocate easily.

After I was content with the general area the turbo will be, I made a reference point for height on the tire for where the turbo flange will sit. Then I tossed the stock header into place and took some approximate measurements and found that the stock header should line up pretty nicely with the turbine inlet with minimal work, maybe after swapping the primary tubes around once I cut them apart right at where the small tubes join the primaries. Ill try to get a flange this week and tack something together soon.
    cheddle likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Even just sitting there, it already looks awesome lol

Member #
    I will be interested in this one. Dont forget to do something with the clutch - it fries with any decent power.
    .................................................. .......................................
    2015 Mt-09 in Orange
    Shift Dynamics Quick Shifter
    ZX10R Rear Shock
    Extreme Creations Turbo Kit
    TurboSmart Eboost2 Proggressive Boost controller
    Extreme Creations swingarm extensions
    Extreme Creations Jack up plates

Member #
    Hey guys, its been about a week since I posted last. I was making some good progress on mocking up some header tubes when I had a major plumbing crisis at my house lol. So after I got that and some side jobs mostly taken of, I was able to clean up and reorganize the garage and get back to it. After cutting up the stock header I realized its WAAAYYYY to thin to make a proper turbo manifold. Works good in stock form and for Extreme Creations Kit, but it wont be able to hold the weight of the turbo without a silly amount of bracing, and even then it will probably still crack. After much though and lost sleep, I've decided to go 100% scratch built with some schedule 40 mild steel tubing and weld elbows. Cutting up the stock head did serve its purpose, as it gave me an idea of the tubing layout. Ideally, some schedule 10 stainless would be super nice and light, I just don't have that great of tig welding skill or extra tooling to properly do it. Plus the materials cost 4-5 times as much. Ill be buying some tubing asap, but first I need to hunt down some 5/16 or 1/4 plate to make a 1 piece head/manifold flange, which will be its own challenge. Hopefully Ill have something to show to you guys after the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by sirboostalot View Post
    I will be interested in this one. Dont forget to do something with the clutch - it fries with any decent power.
    I have given it some though. Stiffer springs would be one way of doing it, also I think the upcoming xsr900 uses some sort of centrifugal clamping clutch cover that may work. the claim is it allows a lighter spring that holds the same power. so maybe an upgrade on a FZ??
    Last edited by giebsfz; 01-14-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Member #
    Mild steel?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzerpilot View Post
    Mild steel?
    yes its fairly common for diy turbo manifolds. my turbo 240sx had a mild steel tube manifold, was a solid piece. It didn't crack for 3 drifting seasons, street driving and numerous 150-160mph pulls. That was 4-5 years ago and the kid I sold it to still runs it.

So I got some 1/4" steel plate and made up a 1 piece manifold flange. This is probably the trickiest part of the entire build. I had to measure as close as I could the exhaust port spacing and find the angles of the studs. My measurements are close at best and the hole saw has a bit of lateral runout, so I drilled the runner holes and stud holes 1mm smaller and hand finished the holes to get everything on center and snug fitting. The tubing is schedule 40 mild steel, 1 1/4" nominal diameter. The OD is 1.66 inches, a close fit for the exhaust port gasket and the ID is 1.38, slightly larger than stock. I have to cut some 1 inch long tubes for the port inserts and weld them into the flange. Then the real fun can begin!

Last edited by giebsfz; 01-20-2016 at 08:43 PM.
    wildwhl, cbreakin, Mothy and 5 others like this.

Member #
    awesome.
    '14 Rapid Red. M4 carbon, CRG Arrow Mirrors, Rhinomoto bar ends, Motodynamic Integrated tail, OES sliders, Ermax 25cm, Cyclops 3800 lumen H4, Graves front signals, custom passenger block-offs, painted handlebar, billet gas cap, ram mount.

Instagram: maseman88

Previous Steeds
    '00 KZ1000P complete custom
    '00 Bandit 1200
    '04 R1
    '06 CRF450R
    '04 CRF450R

Member #
    Exhaust manifold is 95% finished guys! Just have to bolt it on 1 more time to double check my turbo to engine/oil cooler clearance and do some finish welding pics tomorrow night
    marthy, srech77, coholm and 4 others like this.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links