This is a discussion on Scotts Turbo FZ09 build within the FZ-09 Builds forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; go pte 4831 or maybe mcxpress can build a kit for it (ghostrider 499whp turbobusa builder)...
go pte 4831
or maybe mcxpress can build a kit for it (ghostrider 499whp turbobusa builder)
Last edited by giebsfz; 01-06-2016 at 05:04 PM.
So I did some eyebaling on the stock header and turbo placement when I got home from work.
I started by removing the coolant overflow bottle to free up some much needed space. I decided the hotside must face to the left to get the most use out of the space I have between the engine and front tire. I laid the turbo near where I wanted it, getting the turbo as close the the motor to where it wont melt any cooling components. The coolant overflow wont fit back in place, but its small enough to relocate easily.
After I was content with the general area the turbo will be, I made a reference point for height on the tire for where the turbo flange will sit. Then I tossed the stock header into place and took some approximate measurements and found that the stock header should line up pretty nicely with the turbine inlet with minimal work, maybe after swapping the primary tubes around once I cut them apart right at where the small tubes join the primaries. Ill try to get a flange this week and tack something together soon.
Even just sitting there, it already looks awesome lol
I will be interested in this one. Dont forget to do something with the clutch - it fries with any decent power.
2015 Mt-09 in Orange
Shift Dynamics Quick Shifter
ZX10R Rear Shock
Extreme Creations Turbo Kit
TurboSmart Eboost2 Proggressive Boost controller
Extreme Creations swingarm extensions
Extreme Creations Jack up plates
Hey guys, its been about a week since I posted last. I was making some good progress on mocking up some header tubes when I had a major plumbing crisis at my house lol. So after I got that and some side jobs mostly taken of, I was able to clean up and reorganize the garage and get back to it. After cutting up the stock header I realized its WAAAYYYY to thin to make a proper turbo manifold. Works good in stock form and for Extreme Creations Kit, but it wont be able to hold the weight of the turbo without a silly amount of bracing, and even then it will probably still crack. After much though and lost sleep, I've decided to go 100% scratch built with some schedule 40 mild steel tubing and weld elbows. Cutting up the stock head did serve its purpose, as it gave me an idea of the tubing layout. Ideally, some schedule 10 stainless would be super nice and light, I just don't have that great of tig welding skill or extra tooling to properly do it. Plus the materials cost 4-5 times as much. Ill be buying some tubing asap, but first I need to hunt down some 5/16 or 1/4 plate to make a 1 piece head/manifold flange, which will be its own challenge. Hopefully Ill have something to show to you guys after the weekend.
Last edited by giebsfz; 01-14-2016 at 06:57 PM.
So I got some 1/4" steel plate and made up a 1 piece manifold flange. This is probably the trickiest part of the entire build. I had to measure as close as I could the exhaust port spacing and find the angles of the studs. My measurements are close at best and the hole saw has a bit of lateral runout, so I drilled the runner holes and stud holes 1mm smaller and hand finished the holes to get everything on center and snug fitting. The tubing is schedule 40 mild steel, 1 1/4" nominal diameter. The OD is 1.66 inches, a close fit for the exhaust port gasket and the ID is 1.38, slightly larger than stock. I have to cut some 1 inch long tubes for the port inserts and weld them into the flange. Then the real fun can begin!
Last edited by giebsfz; 01-20-2016 at 08:43 PM.
'14 Rapid Red. M4 carbon, CRG Arrow Mirrors, Rhinomoto bar ends, Motodynamic Integrated tail, OES sliders, Ermax 25cm, Cyclops 3800 lumen H4, Graves front signals, custom passenger block-offs, painted handlebar, billet gas cap, ram mount.
'00 KZ1000P complete custom
'00 Bandit 1200
Exhaust manifold is 95% finished guys! Just have to bolt it on 1 more time to double check my turbo to engine/oil cooler clearance and do some finish welding pics tomorrow night