Scotts Turbo FZ09 build - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Scotts Turbo FZ09 build

This is a discussion on Scotts Turbo FZ09 build within the FZ-09 Builds forums, part of the Yamaha FZ-09 Forums category; Originally Posted by BenCOfz09 Good luck with the build man... Hopefully you don't have to shoot blind with the injectors... You would be able to ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Scotts Turbo FZ09 build

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BenCOfz09 View Post
    Good luck with the build man... Hopefully you don't have to shoot blind with the injectors... You would be able to read the duty cycle on injectors while tuning I'm assuming.

Cool you're using a Subaru turbo.. Just had the motor and turbo replaced in my 13' wrx
    What I'll end up doing is probably sending a stock one out to be flow tested. I know they're too small for what I have in mind but it would help knowing the size difference between stock and what I'm putting in to make initial tuning changes a little quicker.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by giebsfz View Post
    Some triump s3r guys use a gt22 or 25. A lot of gsxr 750 guys use gt28s. The vf40 is a bit smaller than a gt28. Like I said I have access to other turbos smaller (td04) and larger (vf52)so I'll see how it runs first. I think it should be a close fit.
    The VF52 is pretty stonking big for an engine of this size. IMO, it was a bit laggier than I liked on a 2.5 liter engine. The GT28S might be OK up top, but you'll have to run some calcs and check the map. The 750 has the benefit of revving considerably higher than the FZ09.

Quote Originally Posted by giebsfz View Post
    I'm going for mostly more top end. Bike makes plenty of torque as is. Planning on no intercooler for now but I have been researching some options just incase I change my mind. I'm still weighing my options on tuning, I need get some more info from experienced FT users and from dynojet about a PCV Pti application for an fz
    Let me know if you need the pins...I'll check their status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoltec Moto View Post
    The VF52 is pretty stonking big for an engine of this size. IMO, it was a bit laggier than I liked on a 2.5 liter engine. The GT28S might be OK up top, but you'll have to run some calcs and check the map. The 750 has the benefit of revving considerably higher than the FZ09.

Let me know if you need the pins...I'll check their status.
    It's hard to really judge spool characisics of a turbo on a Subaru since there's like 30 inches between the exhaust ports and the turbo lol. The idea for the bike is to see if I can cut the runners short and merge them to a collector. Should have a runner lenght somewhere around 6 to 8 inches. Actually after looking at some specs I found the VF40 seems to be a pretty close match to a gt25. I think it will work out ok.
    Last edited by giebsfz; 01-06-2016 at 12:21 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    My use of lagginess with respect to the VF52 was a bit misleading, because you're correct. The length of the header will directly impact lag. I was referring to where/how the turbo really starts making power...typically around 3500-4000RPM and runs through about 6000RPM. It is relatively top-end biased for a Subaru and less airflow from a smaller engine wouldn't help matters. But, without a compressor map on hand, I'll trust your word that it's similar in size to the GT25. Either way, I'm eager to see how you make out. I have passingly toyed with the idea of turbocharging the FZ-07.

Member #
    Didn't realize it's a VF52... Same turbo that's on my car LOL
    Ben
    2015 Matte Gray Fz09

Member #
    I didn't think the OP was looking to use the VF52...just that it was a potential candidate based on what he has on the shelf.

Member #
    With respect to Ben at Extreme Creations, the price for his kit is not $6,000+ as you put in your initial post ... the prices on his website are listed in Australian Dollars. The total price (to your door) for his kit with tuning is about $4,800 USD. And while I agree that's still a good chunk of bacon for bike parts, I think many would agree it's not unrealistic for what you're getting with his kit. I look at it like you're getting the horsepower of a Super Duke 1290R out of a Yamaha FZ-09 ... And he is now doing R&D for the stage II upgrade to his kit which is an intercooler and stiffer valve springs - should push it north of 200whp for those who just need more!

ANYWAY - I still commend you for doing your own build, I think that's awesome - it's more than I could ever accomplish in my garage - and I'm with everyone else here in that I'm excited to see the progress and ultimately the end result. Cheers and good luck -

Member #
    Damn this is am exciting thread to see! Please keep the progress well documented!

Member #
    Nice project!

What are you using for MAP sensor? I used the PLX map sensor on my FZ6R, the sensor is good up to 3Bar and you can hook it up to the PCV extra channel. That's the route I would go if I was you for fueling for now.

With the PCV + Autotune + LCD-200 you can do about anything, include data logging in real life. I use MegaViewer HD to look at the data, work great! As far as duty cycle, the biggest number I've seen was 65% duty cycle. That's in 3rd gear, 100% throttle at the rev limiter. So you have like a 10% to play with, pass that you might need to go one step up on the injector or adding secondary injectors?

Good luck, I'll be following this thread.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoltec Moto View Post
    I forgot about your turbo Sporty. What are you running on that engine?
    Its a GT 15 ..More specifically a GT-1548
    The GT 25 proved to be a little bit too big and I was having issues getting it up on boost at low RPM's
    2014 FZ09 Mods> Ivans ECU Flash....... Penske 8983....... GP fork piston kit.......Woodcraft Frame Sliders....Woodcraft Axle Sliders ...Woodcraft Engine guards...Chinese spools...
    Spiegler SS brake lines .....APE CC tensioner .....Antigravity AG-801 Battery......tripage LED headlight.......tripage LED pegs ...Watsen Design front turn signals..and some other stuff I dont feel like listing

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links